Re: Exceptional Measures

From: glenn morton (mortongr@flash.net)
Date: Sun Jan 02 2000 - 11:38:05 EST

    At 04:01 PM 1/2/00 -0500, George Murphy wrote:
    > I heartily agree that the vast majority of numerology is nonsense but
    >it's clear that the author of Revelation was using 666 to refer to something.
    >In fact the practice of "gemetria" - adding up the numerical values of
    letters
    >in a name to get a value for that name - was fairly common in the 1st
    century.
    >(There is a graffiti at Pompeii, "I love a girl whose name is 545.")
    > The number of the beast in Rev.13:18 is generlly given as 666, though there
    >is some manuscript evidence for 616. The alphabet to be used is Greek or
    Hebrew.
    >With the latter, nrn qsr, "Nero Caesar", gives 666 while omission of the
    final n for
    >nr qsr gives 616. Another possibility _if_ 616 is the correct reading is
    the Greek
    >kaisar theos, "Caesar [is] God."

    Wait a minute. I still don't see how nrn qsr gives 666. There aren't that
    many letters.

    English has more letters than Latin, Greek or Hebrew. If every letter of
    Nero's name was Z then that is 26 x 10 (Nero Caesar) = 260. Adding Drusus
    to his name you getn 26 *16=416. I can't see how adding the numeric values
    gets me there! For this mentally challenged person can you spell this out?
    The math doesn't add up.

    glenn

    Foundation, Fall and Flood
    Adam, Apes and Anthropology