Re: Why Does the Universe Work?

From: Chris Cogan (ccogan@telepath.com)
Date: Thu Sep 28 2000 - 09:40:52 EDT

    Hi, Howard

    While I have some respect for your thesis because it protects science from
    meddling by people who are theists first and scientists perhaps not at all,
    I disagree with it. I don't think that the "giftedness" of the Universe
    requires that kind of explanation. If it did, then surely the creator of it
    would *also* require that kind of explanation: How is it that there just
    *happens* to be a God who can create universes, etc.? Why is there a God
    rather than nothing at all? Surely this can't be chance, can it? The need
    to regress to yet *another* creator to create creator is obvious.

    At some point, something must simply *be*, and must simply have the basic
    properties needed to produce the next level closer to where *we* are. I see
    no reason nor value in going beyond some sort of basic, dumb "stuff" that
    has one or two basic attributes that allow it, from time to time, at least,
    to form at least one "universe" that can, somewhere within itself, support
    the evolution of life.

    *Any* universe must have causal order (that's part of what it *is* for
    something actually to exist and have an identity). It may be rare that a
    Big Bang cycle (or whatever) supports life, but, for us to be here, it only
    has to happen once. Whether the capacity to support life (or molecules,
    etc.) is universal or extremely rare, the intelligent beings in any
    universe are likely, at least early on, to see their "universe" as all
    there is or ever has been. This will possibly give them an extremely biased
    statistical sample, to say the least, just as the visibility of existing
    life on Earth is a biased sample with respect to the entire range of
    genetic variations that might now exist if every genotype could somehow be
    saved and replicated as if it was in a viable organism.

    In short, although we just don't know, we don't really gain anything by
    positing further-removed causes that themselves would then need even more
    remarkable explanatory causes.