Re: everybody has got some kind of metaphysics (was Life may have started in undersea vents)

From: Stephen E. Jones (sejones@iinet.net.au)
Date: Tue Sep 26 2000 - 08:21:50 EDT

    Reflectoties

    This is late too. To stop wasting everyone's time with my apologies
    for being late, please accept my standing apology in future when my
    posts are late. Thanks.

    On Tue, 12 Sep 2000 10:22:06 +0100, Richard Wein wrote:

    [...]

    >SJ>[SETI is basically a search
    >>for intelligent design, and the comment that "it's highly scientific"
    >>applies equally to ID too!]

    RW>My thanks to Stephen for confirming that mainstream scientists do not rule
    >out intelligent design on philosophical grounds.

    My thanks to Richard for confirming that mainstream scientists do rule out
    *some* intelligent design on philosophical grounds!

    RW>There's nothing unscientific about searching for ID.

    Good. Maybe Richard could have a debate with his colleagues on the
    evolution side who argue that there *is* something "unscientific about
    searching for ID"?

    RW>What's unscientific is
    >claiming to have found ID based on bogus arguments.

    If Richard really believes that: 1) "There's nothing unscientific about
    searching for ID"; and 2) "What's unscientific is claiming to have found ID
    based on bogus arguments"; then Richard would (if he is sincere) have to
    believe that it is *scientific* to claim "to have found ID based on" *non*-
    "bogus arguments"?

    If that is the case, perhaps Richard would state in advance what examples
    of *non*-"bogus arguments" he would accept as a scientific case of ID.

    RW>I'm sure many SETI
    >researchers would love to demonstrate the existence of extraterrestrial ID,
    >but, being scientists, they patiently go about the task of searching for
    >evidence,

    Good!

    RW>rather than running a propaganda camapign claiming to have found
    >evidence when there is none.

    IDers *have* provided "evidence" but Richard's atheistic metaphysical
    framework converts it into "a propaganda camapign".

    It would be good (for Richard) if Richard frankly admitted that like all of
    us, his metaphysics controls his perception of reality:

            "As David Bohm has written:

            `It seems clear that everybody has got some kind of metaphysics,
            even if he thinks he hasn't got any. Indeed, the practical "hard-
            headed" individual who "only goes by what he sees" generally has a
            very dangerous kind of metaphysics, i.e., the kind of which he is
            unaware.... Such metaphysics is dangerous because, in it,
            assumptions and inferences are being mistaken for directly observed
            facts, with the result that they are effectively riveted in an almost
            unchangeable way into the structure of thought.' (Bohm D., "Some
            Remarks on the Notion of Order", in Waddington C.H., ed.,
            "Towards a Theoretical Biolog, 2, 1969, p41)

            Bohm then adds some practical advice:

            `One of the best ways of a person becoming aware of his own tacit
            metaphysical assumptions is to be confronted by several other
            kinds. His first reaction is often of violent disturbance, as views that
            are very dear are questioned or thrown to the ground. Nevertheless,
            if he will "stay with it," rather than escape into anger and unjustified
            rejection of contrary ideas, he will discover that this disturbance is
            very beneficial. For now he becomes aware of the assumptive
            character of a great many previously unquestioned features of his
            own thinking.' (Bohm D., 1969, p42)

            (Thaxton C.B., Bradley W.L. & Olsen R.L., "The Mystery of Life's
            Origin, 1992, Second Printing, pp.207-208)

    RW>BTW, I'll be on holiday in Greece for the next two weeks [ :-) ], so you
    >won't be hearing from me for a while.

    Lucky Richard! I think I could just manage to forego 2 weeks of the
    Reflector for a crusie of the Greek Isles! :-)

    "His faith was so strong that it did not wait on scientific proof. Spencer
    became an ardent evolutionist at a time when a cautious scientist would
    have been justified at least in suspending judgement. ... for him the belief in
    natural causation was primary, the theory of evolution derivative." (Burrow
    J.W., "Evolution and Society: A Study in Victorian Social Theory," [1966],
    Cambridge University Press: London, 1968, reprint, p.205)