Re: RM&NS and the whale (was But is it science)

From: Susan Brassfield Cogan (Susan-Brassfield@ou.edu)
Date: Mon Sep 25 2000 - 12:56:59 EDT

    >Reflectorites
    >
    >On Wed, 20 Sep 2000 16:39:30 -0500, Susan Brassfield Cogan wrote:
    >
    >[...]
    >
    >>BV>It is possible that whales evolved from some wolf-like creature. What is
    >>>being questioned is whether it happened because of "chance variation and
    >>>natural selection".
    >
    >SB>since we can watch variation (whether "chance" or not) and natural
    >>selection happen every day ...
    >
    >Compare this with:

    >On Mon, 18 Sep 2000 23:17:43 -0500 (CDT), Wesley R. Elsberry wrote
    >re: Examples of natural selection generating CSI:
    >
    >[...]
    >
    >WE>Natural selection, though, is notoriously difficult to
    >>empirically isolate as a mechanism of action. The level of
    >>evidence needed to both implicate natural selection and to
    >>exclude genetic drift is high. [...]
    >
    >So when asked to give hard evidence of random mutation and natural
    >selection accomplishing anything *today*, Darwinists either downplay
    >RM&NS and talk of other mechanisms, or they present evidence of
    >something *trivial* (like fluctuating colours in moths or length of finches'
    >beaks), and even then there is some doubt that RM&NS was responsible.

    good god! (or deity of your choice) You quoted a participating member of
    this list out of context! ROFL!!!

    Wesley was talking about *isolating* one of the mechanisms of evolution
    from the the others. He didn't say it didn't exist or couldn't be observed.

    Susan

     I am aware that the conclusions arrived at in this work will be denounced
    by some as highly irreligious; but he who denounces them is bound to shew
    why it is more irreligious to explain the origin of man as a distinct
    species by descent from some lower form, through the laws of variation and
    natural selection, than to explain the birth of the individual through the
    laws of ordinary reproduction.

    ---Charles Darwin

    http://www.telepath.com/susanb/