"Apparent" Trap

From: Bertvan@aol.com
Date: Mon Sep 25 2000 - 10:31:21 EDT

    Ralph:
    >I still don't know why agnostics would be attracted to ID. If there is an ID
    >with some sort of overall plan, then the history of life on earth is the
    >history of that plan in action. So far, the defining feature seems to be
    >extinction, in various degrees of severity. Why is extinction by chance
    >worse than extinction by design? I know you think if a species goes extinct
    >that's a sign that they were a mistake, outside of the plan. If that's true,
    >how do we know we're not "outside of the plan" and headed for eventual
    >"error correction"?
    ralph

    Hi Ralph,
    One reason this agnostic is attracted to ID is exasperation with "chance
    variation and natural selection". I am interested in many people's thoughts
    on evolution, including panspermia, Lamarckism, Holism -- and Fred Hoyle's
    "The Intelligent Universe". To me, "intelligence" is the significant part
    of ID. I doubt evolution was the result of some rigid "plan". However the
    entire process is loaded with "intelligence". I believe nature is the
    result of intelligence and not the result of a series of chance events. (I
    don't see how one can say any part of nature, such as extinction, is "worse"
    or "better". If I gave the impression that was my belief, I didn't make
    myself clear.) I probably disagree with most of Philip Johnson's political
    positions and views on religion. However I do agree when he charges that
    Darwinism has been used as an attempt to impose materialism upon society as
    "scientific truth". It is my personal observation that most of the people
    passionately fighting ID are engaged in some juvenile, paranoid crusade
    against religion. Being committed to neither atheism nor theism, I would
    protest either being imposed upon society as "truth", scientific or
    otherwise. At the moment no one is trying to impose ID upon anyone. It is
    being suggested as an alternative way of viewing nature. Materialists are
    still free to dream up their elaborate "chance" explanations. That doesn't
    appear good enough for them. They seem to want to prevent anyone even
    considering anything but "chance variation and natural selection".

    Bertvan
    http://members.aol.com/bertvan