Re: Blood clotting and IC'ness?

From: Susan Brassfield Cogan (Susan-Brassfield@ou.edu)
Date: Thu Sep 21 2000 - 10:47:04 EDT

    >Bertvan:
    >Can proteins mutate in only certain ways? Are they alive? Do they have a
    >choice about how they mutate? (Some limited choice seems to be a property of
    >all life.) Does knowing the history of a protein tell you the probability of
    >whether it will mutate by chance - or whether it will mutate according to
    >some innate plan or design? Does science know the history of many proteins?
    >Does Darwinism know any reason why proteins shouldn't mutate according to the
    >same, plain, old-fashioned "chance" familiar to the rest of us? Is declaring
    >something to be undesigned less ignorant than calling it designed?

    I just ran across a webpage that sort of addresses part of this.
    http://daphne.palomar.edu/evolve/evolve_3.htm#top
    ------------------
         Living things on Earth are fundamentally similar in the way
         that their basic structures develop and in their chemical
         compositions. No matter whether they are simple single celled
         protozoa or highly complex organisms with billions of cells,
         they all begin as single cells that reproduce themselves by
         similar division processes. After a limited life span, they also
         all grow old and die.

         All living things share the ability to create complex molecules
         out of carbon and a few other elements. In fact, 99% of the
         proteins, carbohydrates, fats, and other molecules of living
         things are made from only 6 of the 92 most common
         elements. This is not a mere coincidence.

         All plants and animals receive their specific characteristics
         from their parents by inheriting particular combinations of
         genes. Molecular biologists have discovered that genes are, in
         fact, segments of DNA molecules in our cells.

         These segments of DNA are chemically coded recipes for
         creating proteins by linking together particular amino acids
         in specific sequences.

         All of the tens of thousands of types of proteins in living
         things are made of only 20 kinds of amino acids. Despite the
         great diversity of life on our planet, the simple language of the
         DNA code is the same for all living things. This is evidence of
         the fundamental molecular unity of life.

         In addition to molecular similarities, most living things are
         alike in that they either get the energy needed for growth,
         repair, and reproduction directly from sunlight, by
         photosynthesis , or they get it indirectly by consuming
         green plants and other organisms that eat plants.

         All of these major similarities between living things can be
         most logically accounted for by assuming that they either
         share a common ancestry or that they came into existence as a
         result of similar natural processes. These facts make it
         difficult to accept a theory of special and independent
         creation of different species.
    -----------------

    I might add, that it also makes it tough to accept the idea that these
    molecules are directing their own evolution, as if some group of
    single-celled organisms decided (consensus decision or majority vote?) that
    it was their destiny to become a cocker spaniel and so directed their own
    evolution though cordate --> protofish --> reptile-->therispid-->mammal
    transitionals taking their own sweet time--more than 500 million years--to
    do it. And, of course, now that they have achieved cocker spanielness they
    are done and will change no more.

    Susan

     I am aware that the conclusions arrived at in this work will be denounced
    by some as highly irreligious; but he who denounces them is bound to shew
    why it is more irreligious to explain the origin of man as a distinct
    species by descent from some lower form, through the laws of variation and
    natural selection, than to explain the birth of the individual through the
    laws of ordinary reproduction.

    ---Charles Darwin

    http://www.telepath.com/susanb/