Re: Blood clotting and IC'ness?

From: FMAJ1019@aol.com
Date: Thu Sep 21 2000 - 00:41:03 EDT

    In a message dated 9/18/2000 9:20:58 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
    nalonso@megatribe.com writes:

    << FMA:
    Not the burden of proof is to show that an IC system cannot arrise through
    chance and natural selection.

    Nelson:
    Thats exactly what I said above. You repeated my statement almost verbatim.

    So where is it shown that an IC system cannot arise through chance and
    natural selection? It's asserted by IC not proven.

    <<
    FMA:
    And even if it could, this would not prove
    design merely disprove Darwinian evolution as a mechanism here.

    Nelson:
    Nope, it also shows that intelligent agency is needed to produce these
    systems, since we observe them producing these systems, and they can only be
    built by adding multiple parts together with foresight.

    Another common logical fallacy, well actually two:

    1. False dicthomy: Elimination of chance and natural selection does not mean
    therefore design
    2. Design does not mean intelligence
    3. Intelligent agency cannot exclude natural forces
    4. It presumes foresight and presumes that it can only be built that way.

    You are presuming that which needs to be proven.

    <<
    << an irreducible system since the you cannot show an effective precursor.
    Now
    if you want to say "it could have evolved" you have to give me a pathway to
    work with. I have proposed my pathway, namely intelligent design.

    FMA:
    That's not a pathway. It's a place holder for ignorance. I have shown how an
    IC system could arise naturally (Robison). Others include

    Nelson:
    Robison failed to show how a natural pathway could make an IC system. Sigh,
    here we go again with more links.

    Nope show me how such a system arose through ID. You merely showed how an IC
    system was adapted.

    <<
    Link Quote:
    Instead, in September 1999 he said "The point in dispute is whether natural
    selection can produce major innovations." But surely his book holds up the
    immune system as a major innovation, and as of 1998 it was no longer
    disputable that evolution could have caused that. "

    Nelson:
    Lets take a look:

    "Rebuttal of Example: Cilia and Flagella

    That's not the immune system.

    << Although Behe describes these on pages 59-72, it isn't clear exactly what
    the
    irreducible systems are, and why they can't be reduced.

    Suppose we took flagellin, which in E. coli K-12 is a chain of 497 amino
    acids. What if we chop out a third of those? If the "system" is irreducible
    then removing these parts should make it stop functioning. But that has been
    done, and the flagellum still worked fine [1]. So is this reduced system
    Irreducible? Apparently we don't have a good way to know, since the method
    applied to the original system gave a wrong answer.

    Nelson:
    Behe made it _extremely_ clear which parts make up the IC flagellum. Namely
    the stator, the propeller, and the rotor,etc. Ken Miller and Ian Musgrave
    both conceded these parts to be IC.

    Reference please.

    << Quote:
    Flagellin is also used for "active transport" inside cells, but a cutdown
    version with 183 aminos will do that [2]. This implies that there was some
    earlier molecule that was only used for transportation. Evolution replaced
    that molecule with flagellin, and flagellin was then co-opted into its
    flagella
    role because it was lying around.

    Nelson:
    Once again, another "just so" story that doesn't reduce the actual parts of
    the flagellum at all. Note the "just lying around" comment. Active
    transports lie causally downstream from the flagellum, so this is completely
    ad hoc. >>

    It's not more ad hoc than "it could not have happened". It's a probable
    pathway. If Behe wants to prove that it could not have happened that way then
    fine. But it seems that Behe and ID'ers are not really interested in doing
    the research to support their assertions.

    SO far still no evidence that natural selection and mutations could not lead
    to IC systems

    A classification of possible routes of Darwinian evolution. Richard H.
    Thornhill1 and David W. Ussery. Published in The Journal
    of Theoretical Biology, 203: 111-116, 2000.

    "Possible routes of Darwinian evolution can be classified into four
    fundamental categories, as outlined below."

    a) Serial direct Darwinian evolution.

        This means change along a single axis. Although it can generate
    complicated structures, it cannot generate
        irreducibly complex structures

    b) Parallel direct Darwinian evolution.

        Parallel direct Darwinian evolution can generate irreducibly complex
    structures, but not irreducibly complex
        structures of functionally indivisible components (Fig. 1), and this is
    the valid conclusion to draw from Behe's thesis.

    c) Elimination of functional redundancy.

        Redundancy elimination can generate irreducibly complex structures of
    functionally indivisible components, and
        a Darwinian evolutionary route of this type has been suggested for
    biochemical cascades, such as the blood-clotting
        system (Robison, 1996).

    d) Adoption from a different function.

        "Adoption from other functions, whether generating an irreducibly
        complex structure or otherwise, appears to be widespread at the
        molecular level. The following are a few examples: (i) Many bacteria
        and yeasts contain chimeric flavohaemoglobins, consisting of a haem
    domain which is homologous to non-chimeric haem proteins, and a
        flavin-binding domain which is homologous to NADPH sulphite reductase,
    toluate 1,2 dioxygenase, cytochrome
        P450 reductase, and nitric oxide synthase (Moens et al., 1996). (ii)
    Antifreeze glycoprotein in the blood of Antarctic
        notothenioid fishes, which enables them to survive in icy seas, is
    considered to have evolved from a functionally
        unrelated pancreatic trypsinogen-like protease, and the recent discovery
    of chimeric genes which encode both the
        protease and an antifreeze glycoprotein polyprotein strongly supports
    this theory (Cheng & Chen, 1999).
        (iii) Crystallins (proteins with refractive functions in the eye lens)
    are closely related or identical to stress-protective
        proteins in non-ocular tissues (eg. Drosophila a-crystallins and small
    heat-shock proteins are homologous).
        Piatigorsky uses the term "gene-sharing" for the encoding in a single
    gene of a protein with two or more functions,
        and suggests that this may be a widespread evolutionary 'strategy'
    (1998). "