Re: `intelligent natural forces' (was filter)

From: FMAJ1019@aol.com
Date: Thu Sep 21 2000 - 00:10:31 EDT

    In a message dated 9/20/2000 3:51:24 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
    sejones@iinet.net.au writes:

    << On Mon, 18 Sep 2000 12:04:58 EDT, FMAJ1019@aol.com wrote:

    FJ>I am looking
    >forward to any attempt by IDers to address my arguments. ...

    SE: They don't need to. FJ/Pim concedes ID's point that there is detectable
    evidence of design in biological nature.

    If ID wants to argue that design includes natural selection as the designing
    agency, then
    that's fine with me. But then ID really has shown that ID can detect that
    which we
    already know or better that which we don't know since nothing can be excluded
    a priori.

    << His disagreement is over the nature of the designer, i.e. the designer is
    `intelligent natural forces' (whatever they are), which is outside the
    scope of ID.

    Intelligent natural forces are for instance "natural selection".

        "The "actualization-exclusion-specification" triad mentioned above also
        fits natural selection rather precisely. One might thus conclude that
        Dembski's argument establishes that natural selection can be recognized
        as an intelligent agent. "

    http://inia.cls.org/~welsberr/zgists/wre/papers/dembski7.html

    << FJ/Pim's `intelligent natural forces' have the added advantage in that
    they
    would destroy Darwinian explanations ("it wasn't random mutation and
    natural selection, Prof. Dawkins, but `intelligent natural forces'"), so I
    personally wish to encourage him in his search for these elusive (or should I
    say virtual?) entities.

    You are incorrect to suggest that it wasn't random mutation and natural
    selection.

    << May I suggest to FJ/Pim that he might watch re-runs of Sesame Street
    for vital clues as to how to become aware of these `intelligent natural
    forces'? :-)

    Non sequitor. I would suggest that ID'ers spend more effort on rebutting my
    arguments
    rather than ridiculing their own strawmen.

    The issue is simple:

    ID only identifies design by eliminating chance and regularity. They label
    therefore intelligent design
    to be that which has not been shown to be due to chance and regularity (law)
    . But of course that only includes
    regularity that we are aware of. What if we cannot identify or support with
    data, a Darwinian pathway?
    What would the filter conclude? What if we applied the filter to the
    knowledge of medieval times. Would the filter
    conclude design for instance in which we now know that it was regularity? My
    argument is that it would for the same reasons people concluded design in so
    many instances of ignorance.
    But let's ignore this for the moment and continue the argument:

    ID ends up identifying design (ignoring for the moment the issue of false
    positives). Has ID identified the designer?
    Nope. So how does it attempt to identify the designer?

    Wesley Elsberry has in the past shown that:

        "The apparent, but unstated, logic behind the move from design to

        agency can be given as follows:

           1. There exists an attribute in common of some subset of objects
              known to be designed by an intelligent agent.

           2. This attribute is never found in objects known not to be designed
              by an intelligent agent.

           3. The attribute encapsulates the property of directed contingency
               or choice.

           4.For all objects, if this attribute is found in an object, then we
           may conclude that the object was designed by an intelligent agent.

        "This is an inductive argument. Notice that by the second step, one
        must eliminate from consideration precisely those biological
        phenomena which Dembski wishes to categorize. In order to conclude
        intelligent agency for biological examples, the possibility that
        intelligent agency is not operative is excluded a priori. One large
        problem is that directed contingency or choice is not solely an
        attribute of events due to the intervention of an intelligent agent.
        The "actualization-exclusion-specification" triad mentioned above also
        fits natural selection rather precisely. One might thus conclude that
        Dembski's argument establishes that natural selection can be recognized
        as an intelligent agent. "

    http://inia.cls.org/~welsberr/zgists/wre/papers/dembski7.html

    So "one might thus conclude that Dembski's argument establishes that natural
    selection can be recognized as an intelligent agent.". Therefore, since ID
    does not identify the designer, it cannot exclude natural forces such as
    natural selection as the intelligent agent. This shows that the term
    "intelligent design" is not truely a placeholder for what is traditionally
    known as intelligence or perhaps even design but for property "X", which is
    infered through elimination of chance and regularity. The ID movement wants
    to call this intelligent design but I would like to use the confusion of
    equivocation and use it "X". So what does infering "X" tell us? Nothing
    beyond what we already knew. "X" can have its origins in a natural process
    or in a non-natural process.