Re: A Question of Abiogenesis

From: Stephen E. Jones (sejones@iinet.net.au)
Date: Sun Sep 17 2000 - 06:19:43 EDT

    Reflectorites

    On Fri, 15 Sep 2000 11:44:15 EDT, FMAJ1019@aol.com wrote:

    [...]

    SJ>Note "New lines of thinking" and "new modes of thinking" are needed.
    >There is one "mode of thinking" they all reject out-of-hand, namely
    >intelligent design! If in fact intelligent design was how the origin of life
    >happened, then they are doomed to frustration forever trying to find out
    >how it happened by unintelligent natural processes.

    FJ>If they accepted ID then why would there be the need for more research?

    Why would there not be "the need for more research"? Knowing something
    is designed would not preclude finding out more about how it was
    designed.

    Indeed, if design is scientifically demonstrated it would probably
    be the biggest shot in the arm for "research" *ever*.

    FJ>It's
    >the present approach which has lead to new discoveries, new lines of thinking
    >etc.

    That's not what Dose said in the quote I posted. Here it is again:

            "More than 30 years of experimentation on the origin of life in the
            fields of chemical and molecular evolution have led to a better
            perception of the immensity of the problem of the origin of life on
            Earth rather than to its solution. At present all discussions on
            principal theories and experiments in the field either end in
            stalemate or in a confession of ignorance. New lines of thinking and
            experimentation must be tried. ...The flow sheet shown in Figure 2
            is a scheme of ignorance. Without fundamentally new insights in
            evolutionary processes, perhaps involving new modes of thinking,
            this ignorance is likely to persist. (Dose K., "The Origin of Life:
            More Questions Than Answers", Interdisciplinary Science Reviews,
            Vol. 13, No. 4, 1988, pp.348,355).

    "New lines of thinking ... new modes of thinking" does not mean endlessly
    recycling old ways of thinking. There is *one* new mode of thinking that
    science has steadfastly tried to ignore for the last 140 years and that is
    *design*!

    Here is an earlier ID prediction on OoL that has so far proved true:

            "Notice, however, that the sharp edge of this critique is not what
            we *do not* know, but what we *do* know. Many facts have
            come to light in the past three decades of experimental inquiry into
            life's beginning. With each passing year the criticism has gotten
            stronger. The advance of science itself is what is challenging the
            nation that life arose on earth by spontaneous (in a thermodynamic
            sense) chemical reactions. Over the years a slowly emerging line or
            boundary has appeared which shows observationally the limits of
            what can be expected from matter and energy left to themselves,
            and what can be accomplished only through what Michael Polanyi
            has called "a profoundly informative intervention.". When it is
            acknowledged that most so-called prebiotic simulation experiments
            actually owe their success to the crucial but *illegitimate* role of
            the investigator, a new and fresh phase of the experimental
            approach to life's origin can then be entered. Until then however,
            the literature of chemical evolution will probably continue to be
            dominated by reports of experiments in which the investigator, like
            a metabolizing Maxwell Demon, will have performed work on the
            system through intelligent, exogenous intervention. Such work
            establishes experimental boundary conditions, and imposes
            intelligent influence/control over a supposedly "prebiotic" earth. As
            long as this informative interference of the investigator is ignored,
            the illusion of prebiotic simulation will be fostered. We would
            predict that this practice will prove to be a barrier to solving the
            mystery of life's origin." (Thaxton C.B., Bradley W.L. & Olsen
            R.L., "The Mystery of Life's Origin," 1992, p.185. Emphasis in
            original.)

    "Finally, there is the question of natural selection. In one sense, the
    influence of the theory of natural selection on sociology was enormous. It
    created for a while, in fact, a branch of sociology. It seems now to be felt
    that the influence on sociology of the doctrine of 'survival of the fittest' was
    theoretically speaking, unfortunate, chiefly because it seemed to offer an
    explanatory short cut, and encouraged social theorists to aspire to be
    Darwin's when probably they should have been trying to be Linnaeuses or
    Cuviers. As Professor MacRae points out, in sociology the principle
    explains too much. Any state of affairs known to exist or to have existed
    can be explained by the operation of natural selection. Like Hegel's
    dialectic and Dr Chasuble's sermon on The Meaning of Manna in the
    Wilderness, it can be made to suit any situation." (Burrow J.W., "Evolution
    and Society: A Study in Victorian Social Theory," [1966], Cambridge
    University Press: London, 1968, reprint, p.115)