Re: Schutzenberger's Folly, part 1

From: Chris Cogan (ccogan@telepath.com)
Date: Sun Sep 17 2000 - 16:36:50 EDT

    Brian
    >Chris,
    >
    >This is about the most pathetic post I've seen here in some time.
    >In some ways its funny though. You seem not to be aware that
    >the idea that Schutzenberger is criticizing here (genes as units
    >of information) is not his own. It is instead the idea of genetic
    >reductionists.

    Chris
    Not really. The idea that genes contain "instructions" for
    controlling the development of an organism is not problematic to
    me. What is clearly false is that each gene can be equated with
    some small number of bits (apparently, just *one* bit, in
    Schutzenberger's view).

    >Brian
    >Have you heard of the genetic programme? If it is
    >stupid then let's give credit where credit is due. Let's call Richard
    >Dawkins et al stupid, OK?

    Chris
    I think I have an idea of why you may think this, but you are
    wrong, about both Schutzenberger and Dawkins, et al. I suggest
    you read the interview again. I do not claim that there is anything
    stupid about genetic reductionism (of the organism's physical
    structure) or with the idea of a genetic program. My complaint is
    that Schutzenberger *radically* misrepresents both genetics and
    genetic reductionism. Genetic reductionism does *not* claim that
    the genetic information for the eye is represented in a few
    thousand bits. It merely claims that the information for the eye
    *is* represented (at least algorithmically) in the genes.

    >Brian
    >Well, you can, but I won't since the idea is not stupid. It may not
    >be right, but its not stupid.

    Chris
    Oh, it may not be stupid for a child to think such things, or even
    as a casual opinion for an adult who isn't trying to convince
    people that Darwinism requires miracles, but it is stupid for an
    adult person who *is* claiming to prove that Darwinism requires
    miracles and who has had ample opportunity over thirty years to
    correct this notion by at least *glancing* at a book on genetics, or
    talking to a geneticist (*any* geneticist -- wasn't there even *one*
    whom he might have contacted at the University of Paris or
    through the Academy of Sciences?). Of course, *maybe* he knew
    perfectly well that the bit-per-gene claim was egregiously false
    (that would be my guess).

    Further, he's not *criticizing* it. He's claiming that that's what a
    gene *is* (according to "the understanding of the genome we now
    possess" -- see below) and then claiming that there is not enough
    information in the genes of the eye to account for the eye. The
    idea that he's criticizing is that genes contain enough information,
    even if we take into account *all* the genes that might be
    involved, to explain what seems to come from them. He's
    claiming that Darwinism requires a miracle to get an eye out of
    two thousand genes. It is *Darwinism* that he is attacking, *not*
    the looney idea of genetic information.

    He's claiming that a gene contains *less* information than a
    single codon *within* a gene!

    Let me quote the passage immediately following the parts I
    quoted in my original post:

          Q: Would you argue that the genome does not
          contain the requisite information for explaining
          organisms?

          A: Not according to the understanding of the genome
          we now possess. The biological properties invoked by
          biologists are quite insufficient; while biologists may
          understand that a gene triggers the production of a
          particular protein, that knowledge -- that kind of
          knowledge -- does not allow them to comprehend
          how one or two thousand genes suffice to direct the
          course of embryonic development.

    Here he's reaffirming the claim he made earlier. But this alleged
    "understanding of the genome we now possess" is *not* the
    understanding of the genome we now possess, nor has it
    *ever* been. It is certainly not the understanding of
    Dawkins, et al, nor of *any* geneticist.

    Apparently, he skimmed over some popularization of
    genetics in a Sunday newspaper supplement some thirty-
    five years ago, written by some scientifically illiterate
    reporter, leapt to his own bizarre (mis-)understanding of
    genetics, and then, since it is *such* a good straw man if
    you can get the riff-raff and the yokels to *accept* it as "the
    understanding of the genome we now possess," he chose it
    as a key in his attack on Darwinism.

    Brian
    >You also seem to know very little about information theory,
    >btw. If one proposes the genetic programme hypothesis then
    >the reasonable way to investigate it is to let the symbols
    >represent genes. One then has instructional messages
    >composed of sequences of these symbols. By way of
    >analogy, one could have a factory. One could make an
    >alphabet where each symbol represents some operation.
    >Perform operation X on machine Y. You then have
    >messages that are sequences of these operations. The
    >analogy is quite good. According to the genetic programme
    >hypothesis this is exactly what genes are supposed to do.
    >They are supposed to represent a sequence of instructions
    >for building an organism.

    Chris
    Most of this is beside the point, and I agree with the analogy.
    My point is that genes are complex and that they *each* contain
    a largish chunk of information, and that Schutzenberger is claiming
    that they are about a bit in length and information content. In
    programming terminology, nearly all genes are complex
    "*subprograms,*" not single "machine code" instructions. They
    typically *each* contain hundreds of thousands of bytes of
    information.

    Genes represent (or contain) a sequence of instructions for
    building an organism, true enough, but *each* gene contains
    *vastly* more than a single bit of information (typically several
    orders of magnitude more, to give you an idea of just how far off
    Schutzenberger's claim is). That is, *each* gene represents
    a sequence of information, not one tiny "unit" of information.

    Even in "machine" code terms, each individual instruction
    represents more than one bit, unless the "machine" only
    has two instructions. If there are 32 instructions, then each
    instruction contains five bits of information (that is, no
    fewer than five bits are required to specify any given
    instruction, assuming that no instructions are all the same
    length.

    And, in any high level programming language, each
    "instruction" (called a, "statement" in this case) may
    represent virtually *any* number of bits. For example, a
    programming language could contain a statement that
    causes millions of machine instructions to execute.

    It *is* true that some of the needed information for
    generating an organism is contained outside the genome (in
    the various molecules that exist in the cell prior to DNA
    replication), but that information is, in comparison to the
    average genome, quite small. It is part of the "computer"
    that processes the "program" in the genome, it is the
    "micro-code." Without it, the "program" cannot be read and
    executed, so it is absolutely essential, but it is still only a
    relatively small amount of information, just as the micro-code
    that implements machine code is very small compared to
    Windows 98 (or OS 9, or Linux, etc.).