Re: How could evolution result in IC systems?

From: FMAJ1019@aol.com
Date: Sat Sep 16 2000 - 23:43:39 EDT

    Also a response to Thornhill at
    http://www.arn.org/docs/behe/mb_mg1darwinianpathways.htm

    But ARN has been off line for me for a while now.

    An interesting quote:

    "Behe's notion of IC has found itself into the scientific literature and is
    being taken seriously by scientists. Behe has contributed to science by
    forcing
    non-teleologists to once-and-for-all lay the various Darwinian pathways on
    the table. This is progress as we can now look to the data to determine
    if there is any evidence that these pathways apply to an particular IC system
    in question. "

    That the article was showing that natural processes can result in IC systems
    and therefore disproves Behe seems to be less relevant than the hope that
    these scientists took Behe seriously. The author also seems to be convinced
    that Behe actually contributed to science by forcing these authors to do
    something that science already knew.

    What I truely think is ironic is one of the final comments

    "The remaining explanations for IC are indeed possible, but without evidence
    to support them, there is no reason to seriously embrace them."

    I guess the author tries to reverse the burden of proof here. Behe claimed
    that no natural pathways could exist. So now IC is not a reliable detector of
    ID anymore and therefore it is up to Behe and his supporters to find
    supporting evidence for their claims. So far we have seen science advance in
    their understanding of scientific pathways to IC systems. What has ID
    contributed to our understanding I wonder?
    It seems however that at this moment in time IC cannot be used as a reliable
    detector of design. "The remaining explanations for IC are indeed
    possible...."

    What now?