Intelligent design and science

From: FMAJ1019@aol.com
Date: Sat Sep 16 2000 - 20:56:09 EDT

    In a message dated 9/16/2000 5:28:31 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
    sejones@iinet.net.au writes:

    << Does not the search for extraterrestrial intelligence depend on the
    assumption that intelligently generated radio signals can be distinguished
    from naturally generated ones? Closer to home, can one determine by
    studying Mount Rushmore that it was intelligently designed, or must one rely
    solely on old news reports about its construction? >>

    It's a poor analogy to claim that since we can detect some design in the
    world around us that therefore there is a reliable detector of intelligent
    design. There are instance where we have enough information about the
    designer that we can formulate a design inference and eliminate chance and
    regularity.

    Wesley Elsberry:

           "Third, my alternative explanatory filter retains the common meaning
    of design as a reliable indicator of agency. We recognize design in our
           day-to-day life because of prior experience with objects and events
    designed or caused by intelligent agents. It is important to recognize that
    there is
           a difference between a reliable classifier and an oracular design
    detector. Dembski utilizes the Search for Extra-Terrestrial Intelligence
    (SETI)
           project as an example of the detection of design in the absence of
    particular knowledge of a designer. But SETI does not support the notion that
           novel design/designer relationships can be detected. SETI is only
    capable of detecting signals that conform to certain properties of signals
    known
           from prior experience of humans communicating via radio wavelengths.
    SETI works to find events that conform to our prior experience of how
           intelligent agents utilize radio wavelengths for the purpose of
    communication. ETI that communicate in ways for which humans have no
    experience
           will be completely invisible to, and undetected by, SETI. "
    http://inia.cls.org/~welsberr/zgists/wre/papers/dembski7.html

    Michael Behe's argument infers design from a claim of absence of evidence
    supporting a Darwinian pathway to IC structures. Ignoring for the moment the
    false dichotomy, the claim seems to be that IC is a reliable detector of
    design and that only an intelligent designer can design IC. Of course this
    presumes that natural pathways to IC structures cannot exist.

    Thornhill et al (http://www.cbs.dtu.dk/dave/JTB.html A classification of
    possible routes of Darwinian evolution. Richard H. Thornhill1 and David W.
    Ussery. Published in The Journal of Theoretical Biology, 203: 111-116,
    2000.) have shown the potential pathways of Darwinian evolution and show
    which pathways can lead to IC systems.

    Similarly Lindsay shows possible pathways to IC systems

    "There are at least three different ways that an IC system can be produced by
    a series of small modifications:
        1) Improvements become necessities
        2) Loss of scaffolding
        3) Duplication and divergence."

    http://www.cs.colorado.edu/~lindsay/creation/evolve_irreducible.html
    http://www.cs.colorado.edu/~lindsay/creation/behe.html
    http://www.cs.colorado.edu/~lindsay/creation/natural_arch.jpg

    And Robison in http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/behe/review.html shows a
    potential pathway to an IC system using gene duplication.

    Dembski infers design from the absence of regularity and chance.

    Wesley Elsberry

    "I 've read it. Dembski merely claims that one can *detect* "design". Detec
    tion is not explanation. Dembski's "design" is just the residue left when
    known regularity and chance are eliminated. Dembski's arguments that natural
    selection cannot produce "specified complexity" are, to say the least, highly
    unconvincing. If "specified complexity" exists at all, Dembski has not yet e
    xcluded natural selection as a cause of events with that property."

    http://inia.cls.org/~welsberr/evobio/evc/argresp/design/rev_tdi.html
    http://inia.cls.org/~welsberr/zgists/wre/papers/dembski7.html
    http://inia.cls.org/~welsberr/ae/dembski_wa.html

    Both ID inferences also seem to suffer from the same problem: They do not
    identify the designer and can therefore not exclude natural forces as the
    designer:

    Wesley again:

    "Wesley Elsberry:

        "The apparent, but unstated, logic behind the move from design to agency
    can be given as follows:

           1.There exists an attribute in common of some subset of objects known
    to be designed by an intelligent agent.

           2.This attribute is never found in objects known not to be designed by
    an intelligent agent.
           3.The attribute encapsulates the property of directed contingency or
    choice.
           4.For all objects, if this attribute is found in an object, then we
    may conclude that the object was designed by an intelligent agent.

    This is an inductive argument. Notice that by the second step, one must
    eliminate from consideration precisely those biological phenomena which
    Dembski wishes to categorize. In order to conclude intelligent agency for
    biological examples, the possibility that intelligent agency is not
    operative is excluded a priori. One large problem is that directed
    contingency or choice is not solely an attribute of events due to the
    intervention of an intelligent agent. The
    "actualization-exclusion-specification" triad mentioned above also fits
    natural selection rather precisely. One might thus conclude that Dembski's
    argument establishes that natural selection can be recognized as an
    intelligent agent. "

    Wesley also proposes a better filter:
    http://inia.cls.org/~welsberr/zgists/wre/papers/dembski7.html