RE: Blood clotting and IC'ness?

From: Nelson Alonso (nalonso@megatribe.com)
Date: Fri Sep 15 2000 - 12:56:58 EDT

    Ralph:

    > >However, you are an intelligent agent, and therefore, you may build it by
    > >adding multiple parts together, with foresight, and future usefulness.
    You
    > >are natural selection with eyes.
    > >These give some clues as to who the designer is, namely, an intelligent
    > >agent with at least human intelligence.
    >
    >Ralph:
    >Given our current level of knowledge about gene manipulation, I think we
    >are a long way from being able to generate a working molecular motor in a
    >biological organism that didn't already have one.
    >
    >Nelson:
    >Well we can make stators , rotors, propellers etc. It doesn't take a
    >"higher" intelligence to make them, and there is nothing preventing us from
    >doing so, just advances in technology.We can make irreducibly complex
    >systems. In the Conference of Molecular Nanotechnology held in 1998 they
    >were actually able to make a motor much like the flagellum. There is also a
    >patent on such a motor:

    [snip much interesting information on nanotechnology]

    Ralph:
    Thanks for all that information on nanotechnology. I was aware of
    these motors. I read as much as I can about nanotechnology. It's
    a fascinating area with a lot of promise.

    Nelson:
    Indeed.

    Ralph:
    However, we could put 100 of these motors into a test
    subject and they would not be able to pass on even 1 of them
    to their children. I may be wrong but I don't think we know
    how to do that. Yet the ID accomplished the task a long
    time ago. I think your claim that an ID has at least a human
    level of intelligence is a serious underestimation.

    Nelson:
    If you ever read "Engines of Creation" the thinking is to do that very
    thing. Also, we can engineer proteins and even whole structures and pass
    that on to their offspring. Once again, the level of intelligence has
    nothing to do with technological advances.

    Ralph:
    If we assume that the flagellum and their molecular motors were
    designed, then the question remains: how did the bacterium acquire
    them? I can think of two ways.

    1. They always had them. In short, the bacterium were created pretty
    much as we now see them, without a fossil history. (A subset of
    this would be that the bacterium arose naturally without flagellum or
    molecular motors but these were inserted as an already built unit
    at some later date). I think this would call for a level of knowledge
    and ability usually only associated with supernatural beings.

    Nelson:
    It could, but intelligent agency at the level of human beings is enough to
    account for such patterns. Once again, such systems have been engineered by
    humans, and engineered proteins do exist. Not only this, but the patterns of
    design are there. Thus we infer design from those patterns. This is
    indicated by the actual workers in the field as Behe pointed out:

    David DeRosier's in the journal Cell: "More so than other motors, the
    flagellum resembles a machine designed by a human.".

    Ralph:
    2. The pieces of the molecular motor were brought together and
    assembled over time. This method would have to be differentiated
    from evolution's step-by-step-over-time explanation. This could be
    done by specifying a time-span too short for evolution to be feasible
    or by specifying that the parts were not only designed but guided
    during construction so that there would be none of the false starts
    and dead-ends that would make the process look like evolution.
    I don't think this could be done by an ID that was limited to a
    human level of intelligence.

    Nelson:
    I don't see how this follows from the evidence, could be a bit more
    specific?