Re: ID vs. ?

From: FMAJ1019@aol.com
Date: Fri Sep 15 2000 - 01:26:46 EDT

    In a message dated 9/13/2000 3:38:30 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
    sejones@iinet.net.au writes:

    <<

        `There exists, as well, a generally silent group of students engaged
        in biological pursuits who tend to disagree with much of the current
        thought but say and write little because they are not particularly
        interested do not see that controversy over evolution is of any
        particular importance, or are so strongly in disagreement that it
        seems futile to undertake the monumental task of controverting the
        immense body of information and theory that exists in the
        formulation of modern thinking It is, of course, difficult to judge
        the size and composition of this silent segment but there is no doubt
        that the numbers are not inconsiderable.' (Olson E.C., in Tax S.,
        ed., "Evolution after Darwin," Vol. 1, 1960, p.523)

        (Gish D.T., in Ruse M., ed., "But is it Science?", 1996, p.268).

    But the problem is that RM&NS is the least falsifiable naturalistic
    theory so the minority of Neo-Darwinists are able to rule the majority.

    This is not to say that this silent large minority (or even majority) of
    biologists would agree with ID. Most of them would have their own
    favourite `hobby horse' mechanism, or just assume that it must have been
    some combination of naturalistic mechanisms, even if we don't know what
    they were.

    You seem to be jumping to conclusions here based on a logical leap from the
    quote to an assertion that the minority is large and that their arguments are
    based on scientific rather than emotional arguments.
    Is it btw so bad to assume that which has worked so well in the past and
    admit that we do not presently know all the details. Or should we instead let
    our ignorance lead us to infer 'design'?