Re: Randomness & Purpose [wasRe: Piecemeal genetic differences as support for macroe

From: Marcio Pie (pie@bu.edu)
Date: Thu Sep 14 2000 - 17:47:52 EDT

    Hi, folks!

    I think there are two important points you guys are missing.

    First of all, I think that if we want to discuss something in scientific
    terms we must stick to the scientific jargon regardless of how people
    usually use a word. Otherwise we are comparing apples and oranges. Words
    such as random, chaos and homology may cause problems like that. In this
    sense, there is no association between the word "random" and the idea of
    purpose. Curiously, some people commonly use random variables to achieve
    the solution of optimization problems (e.g. Monte Carlo models).

    Also, the distinction between "deterministic" and a "random" is not
    necessarily true. Even though it is impossible to predict the outcome of a
    single coin toss, if you toss it a sufficiently large number of times you
    will get a frequency distribution (a probability distribution) that is
    highly deterministic.

    Cheers

    Marcio