Randomness & Purpose [wasRe: Piecemeal genetic differences as support for macroevolution, etc.

From: Brian D Harper (bharper@postbox.acs.ohio-state.edu)
Date: Thu Sep 14 2000 - 19:20:18 EDT

    This post pertains to my recent discussion with Richard.
    Since Richard indicated he will be out of town I have
    sent a copy to his e-mail address.

    I've decided not to respond point by point to Richard's
    last post as I felt this would just yield further convolutions
    without returning back to the point of purpose.

    This is an important issue for me because I feel that
    there are certain people who manage to get Christian
    lay persons stirred up and then actively opposed to
    science by telling them that evolution reveals a world
    without purpose meaning or design. Now, if this really
    is the result of the science of evolution then this is
    justified. If it is instead certain scientists claiming that
    their theological speculations are actually scientific
    conclusions then I think its high time for some corrections
    to be made. One problem is, of course, that the most
    vocal elements on both sides of the evolution/creation
    debate agree on this point.

    My position is that there are no technical, objective
    definitions of randomness that say anything about
    purpose meaning etc. This being the case I am quite
    happy to pursue the definition that you provided.

    So, let's define a random process as one that involves
    at least one random element. Now I would like to go
    back to a statement you made in an earlier post in
    this thread:

    ======================================
    "So, if a designer has been manipulating the events of evolution to produce a
    desired result, then evolution is not a random process. On the other hand,
    if a designer set up the evolutionary mechanism and then let it run without
    interference, then the process of evolution is random, and is without
    purpose, plan or design." -- Richard
    =======================================

    Let's consider the first part "So, if a designer has been
    manipulating the events of evolution to produce a
    desired result, then evolution is not a random process."

    Suppose we have a case of random mutations giving
    rise to variations but with artificial instead of natural
    selection. I suppose we could just consider a dog breeder,
    but I'll consider a somewhat more powerful designer.
    This designer monitors all living things and selects those
    individuals (or species) which survive. The designer selects
    only individuals (or species) that are fit enough to survive
    on their own without further intervention. Otherwise, the
    selection is sometimes whimsical. The designer rejects
    one very fit individual because it has ugly ears. Another
    marginally fit individual is selected because she thinks
    it is cute.

    So, here we have a designer who is manipulating the events
    of evolution to their own purposes. Yet the process has
    a random element and is thus a random process.

    Now for the other case: "On the other hand, if a designer set
    up the evolutionary mechanism and then let it run without
    interference, then the process of evolution is random, and is
    without purpose, plan or design." -- Richard

    This corresponds to the design process that I discussed
    earlier. We must conclude then that a design process is
    "without purpose, plan or design."

    Brian Harper
    Mechanical Engineering
    Ohio State University