RE: We heard you

From: Nelson Alonso (nalonso@megatribe.com)
Date: Thu Sep 14 2000 - 14:27:54 EDT

    At 03:44 PM 09/13/2000, you wrote:

    > >Chris
    > >Can you, or anyone else, name *one* person who is finding it
    > >*scientifically*
    >
    > >You've made this same unsupported assertion before, and others have made
    > >similar points in response (as have I). As far as I know, you did not
    > >provide an instance of anyone finding it useful *then*, either. *This*
    > >time, could you provide one such instance?

    Nelson:
    I wrote about this before in my one of my first responses to Susan. I used
    the design principle of one molecular motor, the F-ATPase, to predict the
    mechanics of another unrelated another, the cytoskeleton.ID is indeed
    extremely useful.

    >Hi Chris.
    >
    >I believe Denton suggested "Junk" DNA would turn out not to be junk. Mike
    >Gene has claimed that design has motivated him to look for purpose in
    systems
    >that were thought to have no purpose. Whether true or not, Mike Gene
    claims
    >to find a design inference useful. I should think any scientist who looks
    >for a purpose for a seemingly useless piece of biology, might well be
    using
    >a design inference. Any scientist who looks for something beyond random
    >processes is probably using a design inference. Any ecologist looking for
    >meaning in a biosphere that was once thought to be a random collection of
    >unrelated parts might be using a design inference. I'm not about to
    conduct
    >a survey of scientists just to satisfy critics. However I assume any
    >scientist who considers design a possibility finds it useful. There are
    >some, in spite of the disapproval of critics. If it proves productive,
    there
    >will be more. (Please don't tell me "yes but anyone who works under
    >different assumptions than I do is not a "real" scientist.)

    Chris
    That "Junk" DNA might turn out not to be junk has nothing to do with
    purpose or design; it has to do with biological function (if any).

    Nelson:
    Actually this was an evolutionist prediction. Much like how evolutionists
    thought of the cell as a bag of goo. Design theorists would not discount it
    as "junk" or the cell as a bag of goo. What they would predict is that junk
    DNA really isn't junk. And that the cell is actually not a bag of goo, but a
    complex factory.