Re: WWYD - What Would You Do to make evolution work??

From: Ralph Krumdieck (ralphkru@OREGON.UOREGON.EDU)
Date: Mon Sep 11 2000 - 01:39:28 EDT

    >Ralph:
    >>It
    >>seems you are talking in ID terms here, saying life has a purpose. Do you
    >>feel this purpose comes from outside of life or is part of life itself?
    >>If a living organism dies, did it die because it lost its purpose? Is there
    >>a purpose to the "purpose"? (I can see my questions are getting murkier
    >>and murkier--even to me!). I'm just curious about how you see this purpose
    >>working. Or can we just say: "Life has a purpose--but so what?"
    >
    >Bertvan
    >Hi Ralph. "So what" is ok with me. The only purpose to life I discuss is
    >what life is obviously doing - growing. I put more esoteric "purposes" in
    >the same category as "the nature of the designer". I don't worry about
    >questions to which I'm unlikely to find the answer.

    Life does grow. Why that necessarily means it has a purpose, I'm not sure.
    I agree with you that it's pointless to worry about questions you will never
    have an answer to. For instance, I don't waste time trying to trisect an
    angle using straightedge and compass. It's been proven it can't be done that
    way. How do you decide which questions not to worry about?

    [snip]
    >Bertvan:
    >Maybe the perfect organism could adjust to all environments. Humans are
    >getting closer. Environments are part of nature and maybe changing
    >environments are part of the design. (You've given me things to think
    about.)

    That really would be a perfect organism, all right, if it could adjust
    quickly enough. Some environmental changes could be darn quick. I'm
    not sure I'd nominate us for the honor, though. I mean, we work by
    committee, for god's sake! :) I agree that if there is a design, then
    changing environments could be part of it. So could pretty much anything
    else you care to name.

    [snip]

    >>>Bertvan:
    >>>A few other things had to be added that hadn't existed before. Adding
    some
    >>>measure of intelligence to life probably wasn't enough to make it grow.
    >>>Motivation was needed for the system to do its own growing. Choice, free
    >>>will, spontaneity, creativity, consciousness and emotions were probably
    all
    >>>necessary new ingredients. They seem to distinguish life from non life.
    >>>(You'll never find any of them in a computer.)
    >
    >Ralph
    >>These things hadn't existed before life started, you mean? Christians
    >>would disagree with you, I think, since they feel God (who presumably has
    >>all these things) has always existed. I'm not sure I'm ready to say (as
    >>you seem to be saying) that all life (if it is to be classified as life)
    >>has choice, free will, etc. It's a little scary to think of the millions
    >>of bacteria roaming on and inside of me as having free will, creativity
    >>and emotions! By the way (in your last sentence again!), I'd be careful
    >>of that word "never". I think it was Yogi Berra (?) who said something
    >>like: "Predictions are hard, especially when they're about the future".
    >
    >Bertvan:
    >Not being a Christian (or even religious) I can't speak to much of that.
    >Maybe Christians believe they existed in the mind of god. I have no opinion
    >on that. Bacteria can be scary, with or without free will. I've seen
    >pictures of them pursuing, devouring, fleeing and escaping from each other.
    >How can we be certain they have no choice as to turn right of left.
    >
    >Respectful apologies to Yogi, but I think I'll go out on a limb and state
    >that consciousness, free will, creativity and emotions will never be found
    in
    >a computer.
    >
    >Thanks for the non confrontational response
    >
    >Bertvan
    >http://members.aol.com/bertvan

    My pleasure. I will go out on a limb, too, and say that I detect a
    certain degree of hope in your answer. You don't want to ever see a
    computer with consciousness, free will, creativity and/or emotions?
    Please bear with me and don't consign this to the Pit of Questions
    You Never Worry About. :) Why do you hope that computers will never
    acquire these non-material attributes, qualities, whatever they are?

    ralph