Re: Evolution of biological complexity

From: Chris Cogan (ccogan@telepath.com)
Date: Sun Sep 10 2000 - 20:53:34 EDT

    At 05:21 PM 09/10/2000, you wrote:
    >More and more papers are showing that evolutionary mechanisms can explain the
    >evolution of biological complexity.
    >
    >I ran across this one on talk.origins
    >
    >http://www.pnas.org/cgi/content/full/97/9/4463
    >
    > Abstract
    >

    >To make a case for or against a trend in the evolution of complexity in
    >biological evolution, complexity needs to be both rigorously defined and
    >measurable. A recent information-theoretic (but intuitively evident)
    >definition identifies genomic complexity with the amount of information a
    >sequence stores about its environment. We investigate the evolution of
    >genomic complexity in populations of digital organisms and monitor in
    >detail the evolutionary transitions that increase complexity. We show
    >that, because natural selection forces genomes to behave as a natural
    >"Maxwell Demon," within a fixed environment, genomic complexity is forced
    >to increase.

    Chris
    I haven't read the paper yet, but I will. Thanks for the URL.

    Once one thinks of it, the conclusion of the abstract seems obvious. ID-ers
    claim that Darwinists are effectively claiming that there is a "Maxwell
    Demon." They are right, in a sense. Of course, energy (or the computer
    equivalent) is used up (locally) in the process, so it's not a strict
    version of the demon. But, like the Hilsch vortex tube (which separates hot
    and cold streams out of a neutral "luke" stream of air), it is still of
    interest, even though no laws of physics are violated.