Re: ID vs.?

From: FMAJ1019@aol.com
Date: Thu Sep 07 2000 - 23:40:37 EDT

     CH>I don't think that I did a good job of getting my point across in my last
    post
    >so let me try again. I don't have anything against the idea of ID.

    sj: If that is the case, then Cliff sure does gives a good imitation of it!
    The fact is
     that if Cliff is truly a Darwinist, then he would *have* to have *everything*
     "against the idea of ID" because if ID were true, then Darwinism, as a
     general theory, would be false.

    Of course not. Since ID cannot eliminate a natural designer then Darwinism
    can easily survive the idea of ID. You will notice that both Dembski's ID and
    Behe;s IC/ID fail to exclude natural pathways as the designer.

     CH>But, that is my belief based upon faith with no scientific data to
    >support it.

    SJ: It is a tautology to speak of a "belief based upon faith". If Cliff has
     "belief" it must be based on *evidence*.

    Why?

     SJ: And if Cliff has a belief in creation by "some supernatural deity",
    based on
     the evidence of nature, then Cliff has made a design inference.

    Not really. If things were that simple Dembski et al would not be struggling
    with that issue.

    SJ: And it is a "scientific" inference, even if not formulated rigorously.
    It is the
     task of the ID movement to give scientific rigour to such design inferences.

    Why is it scientific? And how do you believe ID movement is going to give
    rigour to such inferences and if ID cannot exclude a natural designer what
    would be the relevance of a reliable scientific design inference?

     CH>I would be thrilled if the basic hypothesis of ID was shown to
    >be scientifically valid.

    SJ: Not if Cliff wants to be a consistent Darwinist he wouldn't be.
    Darwinism is
     the claim that a "mindless procedure could produce design without a
     designer":

    This shows that SJ is somewhat confused about design and Darwinism. Since the
    ID hypothesis merely identifies design an ID hypothesis would still not be
    able to show that a designer was needed. After all if it fails to exclude
    natural forces then indeed there is a problem. Secondly, Darwinism does not
    exlcude a designer, it merely states that no such (supernatural or
    intelligent) designer is required.

     [snip quotes that do not support the assertion'

     CH>However, that is not what the leaders of the ID movement are engaged in.
    >They call ID science, but refuse to hold to the standards of science.

    SJ: What does Cliff think Mike Behe's irreducible complexity hypothesis
     is?

    A hypothesis that states that IC systems cannot arise naturally. How does
    this relate to ID and how does this make IC a 'scientific' hypothesis?
    Assuming design when no mechanisms have been found is harldy scientific in my
    opinion.

    SJ: He has proposed it as a testable, falsifiable hypothesis, and
     his scientific critics have in fact subjected it to scientific
     criticism:

    Pseudo science also can expect scientific criticism and can be falsified.
    Does that make it more scientific? Behe has yet to show that design exists in
    nature.

    Behe's ID argument is based on a logical fallacy to link IC with ID. Perhaps
    Steve can explain to us how such a link has been made using the definitions
    of IC and ID?

     CH>Basically, the purpose of the movement is to get rid of naturalistic
    science.
      No. "the purpose of the movement is to" separate "naturalistic"
     *philosophy* from "science".

    SJ: Cliff probably thinks that "science" *is* just applied "naturalistic"
     philosophy" or maybe he doesn't even realise that modern science is based
     on a philosophy that is itself outside of science?

    A philosophy that has worked extremely well in explaining the data.

     CH>I would say that they are trying to prevent others from speaking out in
    >opposition.

     SJ: How exactly are they doing that (even if they wanted to-which they
    don't)?
     It is the *Darwinists* who are in power and have the full support of the
     government, the law, the educational authorities, the scientific journals
    and
     the mainstream media.

    :-)

     CH>The leaders will say that ID is a scientific enterprise, but then
    >have a meeting with congressmen to get ID taught in the classroom. This
    >is not how scientists operate.

     SJ: Is Cliff trying to claim that mainstream science does not give briefings
     to Congressmen? And what exactly is wrong, in a democracy, with briefing
     Congressmen?

    Nothing, just don;t pretend it's science.

     CH>IDers say that they have empirical data to back
    >up their claims, but have refused to make it public (I know because we've
    >asked for it).

     SJ: What does Cliff think Darwin's Black Box is and Behe's irreducible
     complexity claims on his ARN web pages are - chopped liver?

    Where is the empirical data of design? The absence of an evolutionary pathway?

    SJ: Other
     scientists like Jerry Coyne have no problem finding it and critiquing
     it.

    Of course not, but does that make it scientific? Does that make it supported
    by empirical data?

    SJ: ID researchers like Behe have proposed tests of irreducible complexity
    for
     several molecular biological systems. If Cliff wants to falsify them, he can
     try.

    Since it has already been shown that IC systems could arise naturally, it
    seems that Behe's thesis has been disproven. Perhaps his thesis is now that
    some systems that are IC might still be designed? Perhaps Behe can provide us
    with some evidence that does not rely on absence of data and mechanisms?

     CH>You should go to the ARN website. It is not opponents to ID that have
    >brought up the space alien scenario, it is the IDers that use it to respond
    >the notion of God as the designer.

    SJ: I have explained the context of that in Behe's Darwin's Black Box. There
     Behe was pointing out that the detection of design would not compel belief
     that the design was caused by a supernatural Designer. He says that
     "persons with philosophical commitments against the supernatural" (p.248)
     would be able to posit a number of alternatives, including Directed
     Panspermia and time-travel. Behe was not saying that any IDers would
     claim this, although they could.

    Interestingly enough Behe forgot to mention that design could also include
    natural forces. So my question again: What does ID have to offer?

     CH>Behe, Meyer, and Dembski have all said
    >that ID doesn't make any claims on the nature of the designer and that ID
    >is not all about God.

    SJ: That is correct. ID is about detecting *design* not about making claims
     about "the nature of the designer", e.g. that it was "God".

    Huraah and as such it cannot exclude natural forces as the designer.

    SJ: There is simply *no way* that ID can, by its methods, like the
    Explanatory
     Filter, or Irreducible Complexity, do any more than detect *design*.

    Heck, if they could show that it could even detect design in a useful
    definition of the word then I would be impressed. But certainly within
    biological sciences they have not done this.

    SJ: It is up to philosophy and theology to take it further and make "claims
    on
     the nature of the designer" e.g. that it was "God".

    Or nature. So we are where we started.

    CH>I would love to see some real scientific research on intelligent design
    >being conducted without the huge sociopolitical agenda of the Discovery
    >Institute.

    SJ: Well, "the Discovery Institute" don't have a monopoly on "scientific
     research on intelligent design."

    What research?

     SJ: If Cliff would *really* "love to see some real scientific research on
     intelligent design being conducted" and if he "would be thrilled if the
    basic
     hypothesis of ID was shown to be scientifically valid" then Cliff himself
     could start his own ID research.

    Why? Should we not expect our dear ID friends to do some hard work to show
    that ID is not just founded in absence of evidence?

     CH>But, until the agenda is dropped, I cannot (will not) accept the ID
    >movement.

     SJ: Cliff is perfectly free to "not ...accept the ID movement" I am sure
    with
     the ID movement's blessing. I have said before that the ID movement
     does not need to convince committed Darwinists of design (that
     probably cannot be done), but they only need to convince a large
     part of the majority of the general public who already believe in
     design.

    Ah, there we are getting closer to the real issue. Through equivocation it is
    attempted to imply that ID can support design. But those who believe in
    design believe in a designer that ID cannot support since it cannot exclude
    natural forces. As such ID has added nothing to the scientific discussion but
    might confuse enough people.

     CH>I just don't like being lied to (and yes, they have lied to me).

    SJ: I have commented before on this List how easily evolutionists assume
     that their creationist / IDer opponents are not merely intellectually in
     error (i.e. wrong) but are also *morally* in error (i.e. "lied").

    I am sure that you realize that your conclusion does not follow logically
    from CH's remarks?

    So where's the beef? If ID cannot exlcude natural forces as the designer, if
    ID cannot even show that it is a reliable detector of design, what does ID
    have to offer?