A problem with ID-theorists' view of macroevolution

From: Bertvan@aol.com
Date: Sun Sep 03 2000 - 19:08:33 EDT

    Hi Chris,
    Do you actually believe you are going to convince people that "random
    mutation and natural selection" are an adequate explanation for the creation
    of nature's complexity by telling everyone how stupid they are? Your defense
    of the theory is a little more imaginative than others I've read, but
    basically, is nothing new. You believe nature's complexity occurred without
    plan, purpose or design. Since the existence of purpose in nature is not
    something anyone is likely to demonstrate conclusively, your insistence that
    everyone agree with your position is puzzling. You seem upset that anyone
    should think differently than you on the subject.

    WHY SHOULD YOU CARE WHAT OTHER PEOPLE BELIEVE ABOUT MATTERS THAT CAN NOT BE
    CONCLUSIVELY DEMONSTRATED?

    If your argument is such an obvious truth, you have nothing to fear from ID.
    Most supporters of ID accept that a majority of scientists presently believe
    RM&NS is responsible for nature's complexity. You go your way and IDs will
    go theirs. Personally, my only concern is in trying to see that ID is not
    misrepresented. ID is not "creationism". ID assumes design. Some IDs
    believe the Christian God is the origin of that design. Others consider the
    origin of the design irrelevant.

    I'm not interested in addressing specific points you raise. They have been
    addressed by scientists more convincingly than I could manage. Go to the ID
    discussion board. They will probably address them if you wish.

    http://www.arn.org/cgi-bin/ubb/Ultimate.cgi?action=intro

     As I've said before, you have a well thought out materialist philosophy. I
    have no desire to dissuade you from being a materialist. If you are going to
    be so frustrated by everyone who expresses something outside materialism,
    you are in for a rough life.

    Bertvan
    http://members.aol.com/bertvan