Re: ID vs.?

From: FMAJ1019@aol.com
Date: Sat Sep 02 2000 - 16:38:37 EDT

    Bill:
    >Useful concept to what end? Scientists are mostly - like the rest of us -
    >interested in funding. Funding by whom? The American Athiest Assoc?

    Bertvan: Hi Bill,
    Probably it is useful to them by assuming every piece of nature has a
    purpose, and nothing is "junk".

    Probably? Now you are speculating.

    Bertvan: In any case, no one is trying to force the
    concept upon anyone who doesn't find it useful.

    ROTFL. Of course they are, they are trying to get ID into our science
    education. If ID was merely used to provide people of faith with evidence
    supporting their faith then fine but now that ID pretends to be scientific it
    deserves all the attention.

    Bertvan: So again, I ask what do you
    care what assumptions other scientists work under? As long as the public
    is
    convinced ID equals "creationism", it will receive no funding and it will
    not
    be discussed in scientific journals.

    Really? I am sure you can support this?

    Bill:
    >Scientists are interested in ID but not in the designer? Boggles my mind.
    >I can't think of a parallel situation. Police investigating the mechanics
    >of a murder with no interest in finding the murderer?

    Bertvan:
    Can you investigate a "Big Bang" without knowing what caused it?

     Big Bang is investigated based on positive evidence. ID is based on the lack
    of evidence. But this was not the argument that was made though. I suggest
    you address the argument instead.