RE: teaching evolution in Wisconsin

mortongr@flash.net
Tue, 28 Sep 1999 22:14:50 +0000

At 01:57 PM 09/28/1999 -0700, Arthur V. Chadwick wrote:
>At 01:13 PM 09/28/1999 -0500, Steve wrote:
>
>>Having said all that, I firmly believe that evolution should be taught in a
>>fair and accurate way--explaining its weaknesses as well as strengths.
>
>I think that statement encapsulates the root of the whole present conflict.
> If this feeling and practice were widespread, the issue in Kansas might
>not exist. However, how are you going to find thousands of high school
>teachers with sufficient background in the issues involved to entrust them
>with this responsibility, even if it *were* possible, to present the data
>fairhandedly. They would need a very different education than I suspect
>most of them have had in philosophy and the appropriate issues in science.

At the risk of enraging the teacher lobby, I think you have touched on a
big problem. I think that the educational establishment is more interested
in people who know how to make out a lesson plan and play the political
correctness game than in having people who know their fields. You are
correct, they would need more science than most of them currently have.
glenn

Foundation, Fall and Flood
Adam, Apes and Anthropology
http://www.flash.net/~mortongr/dmd.htm