Re: Vertebrate evolution

mortongr@flash.net
Sun, 26 Sep 1999 09:02:52 +0000

At 01:29 AM 09/26/1999 -0700, Cliff Lundberg wrote:
> You're accepting unproven transformations as
>fact and thereby quashing attempts to model theories with greater explanatory
>power than simply arranging known forms in simple-to-complex order and saying
>there you go, there's your evolution.

Actually, I was just pointing out that there are some candidates for the
transition although I do agree with you more examples would be good.

>The only evolutionary transformations we really have evidence of involve
>distortion of skeletal parts and loss of parts; but the implied
simple-chordate
>vertebrate transformation is highly *elaborative*.

But that, in itself, should go a long way towards showing the reality of
evolution.

>>So, to claim that vertebrates appear in modern form, fully differentiated
>>at their start, ignores the latest data of which I am aware.
>
>I didn't mean to claim that early vertebrates appear in their modern forms,
>only that the complex new vertebrate anatomy and physiology come in
>pretty well framed. The plumbing, the wiring, the skeletal structure are
>all there. It looks like there was a macroevolutionary formative stage of
>evolution to kick off the Cambrian explosion. Any resemblance here to a
>creationist model is irrelevant and coincidental.

Actually the cambrian explosion is becoming less explosive.

Molluscs etc come from precambrian. See Mickhail A. Fedonkin and Benjamin
M. Waggoner, "The Late Precambrian Fossil Kimberella is a Mollusc-like
Bilaterian Organism," Nature, 388(1997):868-871, p. 871

Sponges are found in the Precambrian:~ Martin Brasier, Owen Green and
Graham Shields, "Ediacarian Sponge Spicule Clusters from Southwestern
Mongolia and the Origins of the Cambrian Fauna," Geology
25(1997):4:303-306, p. 305

Annelids are known from the Ediacaran time (see Preston Cloud and Martin F.
Glaessner, "The Ediacarian Period and System: Metazoa Inherit the Earth.",
Science, 217, August 27, 1982, p. 788.

Consider this:
Implications for early animal evolution. A large gap in the record has
been long perceived to exist between the youngest Ediacaran fossils and the
oldest diverse invertebrate fossil assemblages near the base of the
Cambrian System. However it now seems likely that the Ediacaran animals
existed throughout much of the Vendian and that early faunal groups may
have experienced greater overlap than previously recognized; the lesson
learned from the fossils at the top of the Spitskopf is a reminder that
their absence in other contemporaneous strata is more likely an artifact of
preservation than an evolutionary obituary. At the same time, a growing
number of skeletalized invertebrate fossils can be shown to overlap with
the Ediacaran fossils, extending well below the Precambrian-Cambrian
boundary. Cloudina, once thought to be the only Vendian skeletalized
invertebrate, is now joined by the globlet-shaped fossils of the Nama
Group. Their ranges completely overlap with the most diverse Ediacaran
fossil assemblages, and they are locally so abundant that they form
biioclastic sheets. In addition, through correlation of carbon isotope
anomalies, some Cambrian-aspect shelly fossils may now have ranges that
extend into the Vendia. Anabarites and Cambrotubulus appear in uppermost
(negative del 13 C values) Vendian strata of Siberia, and d Anabarites may
be present in somewhat older (positive del13 C values) strata of Mongola."
"Once held as the position in the rock record where the major invertebrate
groups first appeared, the Precambrian-Cambrian boundary now serves more as
a convenient reference point within an evolutionary continuum.
Skeletalized organisms, including Cambrian-aspect shelly fossils, first
appear below the boundary and then show strong diversification during the
Early Cambrian. Similarly, trace fossils also appear first in the Vendian,
exhibit a progression to more complex geometries across the boundary, and
then parallel the dramatic radiation displayed by body fossils." ~ John P.
Grotzinger, Samuel A. Bowring, Beaverly Z. Saylor and Alan J. Kaufman,
"Biostratigraphic and Geochronologic Constraints on Early Animal
Evolution," Science 270, Oct. 27, 1995, p. 603-604 (598-604)

glenn

Foundation, Fall and Flood
Adam, Apes and Anthropology
http://www.flash.net/~mortongr/dmd.htm