Re: Evolution and ASA lists and noise

Cliff Lundberg (cliff@noe.com)
Sat, 25 Sep 1999 17:20:10 -0700

Stephen E. Jones wrote:

>4. How about the posts be addressed to the Reflector rather than to indiduals
>(sort of like addressing the Chair at a meeting to cut down too-personal
>arguments)?
>
>5. And how about not putting unnecessary cc.'s to others who are already on
the
>list? In 4 years I have never received a cc. sent without also receiving the
>main copy sent to the List.

>If there is anyone who agrees with me on these points could you indicate
>it publicly so we could try to make it a voluntary code of conduct for the
>List?

Thanks to Stephen for trying to make the list better!

I'm being repetitive here, but I really think #'s 4 & 5 above would be
addressed
by configuring the server so that the messages come with a header that says
<Reply-to:evolution@calvin.edu>. This is a standard thing on mailing lists and
is simple to put in if one knows what one is doing. There is a configuration
file
somewhere on the list server and it just needs that one line added to it. With
this header our mail programs will automatically address responses to the list,
rather than to the author, as is presently the case. The <From:> line will show

up as usual, showing the author of the message. And our mail programs will
continue to say <John Doe wrote:> or some such before quoted text.

--Cliff Lundberg  ~  San Francisco  ~  cliff@noe.com