Re: philosophy of discovery

Susan Brassfield (susan-brassfield@ou.edu)
Fri, 24 Sep 1999 09:13:19 -0600

>Biochmborg@aol.com wrote:
>
>>Unless you try to argue that Wexler was the only person who could have made
>>this discovery, you will simply obscure the discussion all the more with
>>this
>>irrelevancy.

Cliff Lundberg:
>I wonder how many important discoveries can be attributed to one individual.
>I mean, what are some cases where an individual's discovery really was a
>leap, where it wasn't something that was in the air, that was going to be
>discovered by someone, given the prevailing state of the science? In
>modern times, this must be very rare.

rare indeed. Even evolution and the relatedness of species was "in the air"
in Darwin's time. Otherwise I have a feeling he would have waited to
publish until after his death. I've always thought that may have been what
he was trying to do, and only published because of Wallace's work.

Susan

"Life itself is the proper binge."
--Julia Child

http://www.telepath.com/susanb/