Re: Experts Worry That Public May Not Trust Science

Arthur V. Chadwick (chadwicka@swau.edu)
Tue, 21 Sep 1999 09:57:33 -0700

At 09:07 AM 09/21/1999 -0500, Wesley wrote:

>I'm not sure that outsiders to a field never contribute anything,
>even breakthrough inisghts, but the discussion has gotten fairly
>far afield. The "outsider" bit started off with discussion of
>Phillip Johnson. This is a specific case that can be examined.
>
>What, if anything, can be attributed to Johnson as a contribution
>to biology? I don't recall seeing any critiques that were novel
>to Johnson. I certainly don't recall anything that could be
>considered a breakthrough that originated with Johnson. But maybe
>I've overlooked something.

"Outsiders" always have the potential to cause open-minded (whatever that
means) "insiders" to evaluate the logic of their stance, particularly when
this position is dictated not by the data, but by the model, as is most
certainly the case in thinking about origins. Thus, even the Phil Johnsons
of the world can fulfill a valuable role in science. If he is right, then
hopefully, the self-corrective nature of science will kick in at some point
and realign us. If he is wrong, then his focusing attention on the
weaknesses of evolutionary theory can only help those practitioners who
care about evolutionary theory to tighten up their model. So, bring on the
Philip Johnsons. The only people who have anything to fear are those with
a vested interest in evolutionary theory as a world view. In that case,
Johnson is attacking your religion, and that is another issue altogether.
Art
http://geology.swau.edu