Re: TE, souls and freedom

Biochmborg@aol.com
Tue, 14 Sep 1999 16:10:53 EDT

In a message dated 9/14/99 10:16:01 AM Mountain Daylight Time,
Bertvan@aol.com writes:

> I often find your thoughts interesting, and sometimes wonder what your
> disagreement is with those "creationists" who do not insist upon a literal
> translation of genesis.

I have no disagreement with such creationists; I'm one myself.

> Some "creationists" merely believe God designed the
> process by which life evolved-that it did not occur by "random mutation".

As a religious belief I disagree with part of it, but I do not consider it
wrong. As a description of scientific reality, however, it is contradicted
by known fact.

> Many people have been intimidated into notion that they must do battle
> against anyone who calls themselves a "creationist"--or anyone like me who
> refuses to denounce creationists. The neo Darwinist establishment has
> managed to convince the public that any criticism of neo Darwinism is
> "creationism", that "science" should denounce anyone criticizing the
> slightest aspect of Darwinism, that such strident criticism is a noble
> battle against ignorance and superstition.

Freudian accent ON: "I zee. Tell me now, how long have you had zis belief
zat you are Napoleon? A long time, I zink, ya?" Freudian accent OFF. ;-)

> Now to those thought of yours which I find interesting.
>
> Kevin:
> >For me, the question of the soul is very simple.
>
> Bertvan:
> Surely you don't mean that!!! You might have firm beliefs on the subject,
> but surely you don't consider the matter simple.

I was referring to the question of the relationship between science and the
soul. Simply speaking, there is none.

[snip]

> Bertvan
> I like you thoughts on the evolution of the mind, but why do you insist
> physical evolution must have been the result of random processes, but
> believe spiritual evolution was not?

First of all, I said nothing about spiritual evolution. Secondly, cognitive
evolution is not spiritual evolution, because the mind is a part of the
natural universe, not the spiritual universe. I made that point very clear
in my post. Thirdly, physical evolution and cognitive evolution are only
analogous. They operate via different mechanisms on different sytems for
different goals. Physical evolution requires random mutation to operate,
whereas cognitive evolution can operate using traits pre-determined by the
structure and organization of the mind. In many ways, however, these
cognitive traits are also random; a mind with a different structure and
organization would not be expected to produce the same set of pre-determined
traits, though there may be some similarities.

> I agree with you that choice is part of
> spiritual evolution, and even those who "reject freedom" exercise a
choice.

Choice is part of **cognitive** evolution, not spiritual evolution. I am not
convinced that spiritual evolution even exists. The soul is as it is; there
is no need for it to evolve or even change.

> Do you believe "mind" can sometimes effect physical matter-the body? If
so,
> how can they belong to "different universes"?

I didn't say that the mind and the body belong to different universes; I said
the the soul and the body belong to different universes. The mind is a
property of the body, not the soul.

Kevin L. O'Brien