RE: Peppered moths...again???

Pim van Meurs (entheta@eskimo.com)
Thu, 9 Sep 1999 20:12:45 -0700

----------
From: Arthur V. Chadwick[SMTP:chadwicka@swau.edu]
Sent: Thursday, September 09, 1999 11:38 AM
To: evolution@calvin.edu
Subject: Re: Peppered moths...again???

At 11:01 AM 09/09/1999 -0400, Marcio wrote:

>Peppered moths are *NOT* the only example of natural selection observed in
>nature.

Quoting from Troy's response:

Seawall Wright(1978) called [the peppered moth case] "...the clearest case
in which a conspicuous evolutionary process has been actually observed."

This being the case, I am somewhat puzzled at Marcio's insistence that I
abandon this and discuss other examples. Since this is by far the most
often cited example, perhaps Marcio should be directing his concerns to
those who are using this as an example of natural selection, rather than to
those who are seeking to understand just what the peppered moth story does
tell us.

Poor Art is now misrepresenting Marcio. He did not say that you should abandon it, he merely stated that there are plenty of other good examples.

To quote Marcio again:
"As I said before, as christians we should seek the truth, not our
>own preconceptions of what truth should look like."

Ironic eh...