Re: A Catholic sermon from Kansas

Loren Haarsma (lhaarsma@ursa.calvin.edu)
Wed, 8 Sep 1999 18:48:08 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 9 Sep 1999, Stephen E. Jones wrote:

> Reflectorites
>
> Here is the text of a Catholic priest's sermon from Kansas that was posted
> on another list I am on. I do not necessarily agree with everything said, but
> it shows that evolution is not fully accepted in the Catholic Church, despite
> Darwinist propaganda that it is and that the only resistance to evolution
> comes from Bible-thumping Protestant fundamentalists.
>
> I particularly like the following:
>
> "Yes indeed, problems with Christian belief generally arise when
> "evolution" is loosely used in a broad philosophical sense. This meaning is
> substantially different from the scientific one. It may be defined as follows:
> "an ideological frame of mind which sees the entire universe in terms of
> matter-in-development and which consciously denies the existence of
> spiritual or supernatural reality; all phenomena--scientific, historical,
> economic, and social--are explainable in exclusively material terms." This
> understanding of "evolution" is not scientific, though it derives much
> prestige from association with the sciences. It is not founded on
> experimental knowledge or rational deduction. It is rather a preconceived
> set of attitudes and values, a prejudice that is not merely unscientific, but
> irrational."
>
> It seems to me that most (if not all) TE/ECs on this Reflector hold (at least in
> part) this "ideological frame of mind" and this is the root cause of their conflict
> with their creationist Christian brothers, and indeed with their own Christian
> beliefs (Mat 6:24).

Most (if not all) TE/ECs on this Reflector frequently say that they do NOT
share this "ideological frame of mind."

Most (if not all) TE/ECs on this Reflector take great pains, again and
again, to carefully explain what they TRULY believe, and to explain how
what they believe differs from broad philosophical evolutionism.

Despite this, you repeatedly launch the same false accusations.
THIS is the root cause of your personal conflict with so many
TE/ECs on this list -- not to mention quite a few PCs on this list.

Truly, I am utterly sick and tired of having this ... this ... whatever it
is. It ain't a conversation, that's for sure.