Fwd: [breakpoint] Is the Sky Falling?, 9/1/99

Stephen E. Jones (sejones@iinet.net.au)
Tue, 07 Sep 1999 22:46:20 +0800

Reflectorites

Attached is Colson's Breakpoint articles on the Kansas education
issue.

The really important thing is that creationism is moving away from
the old line that evolution should be taught less, to the new ID line
(championed by Phil Johnson) that evolution should be taught
*more*:

"What Christians ought to be telling people is that we
don't want to ban Darwinism. We don't want LESS
taught in the classroom, we want MORE taught. Of
course students should know the basics of
evolutionary theory, and all the evidence cited in
its favor. But they should also learn the
evidence AGAINST evolution, the problems and
anomalies."

It will be hard for even the Darwinists to argue against *that*!

>Date: Wed, 01 Sep 1999 15:44:24 -0600
>From: <Lori_Whaley@pfm.org>
>Sender: breakpoint-request@lists.netcentral.net
>Subject: [breakpoint] Is the Sky Falling?, 9/1/99

To subscribe to this list,
http://www.breakpoint.org/script4.html

BreakPoint Commentary #90901 - 9/1/99
Is the Sky Falling?: The Kansas Evolution Vote
by Charles Colson

Listening to all the Chicken Littles in the press,
you'd think the sky had fallen in Kansas. When the
Kansas Board of Education voted not to include
macroevolution in their state standards, dozens of
hand wringing editorials decried the vote as
"religious prejudice," "banning knowledge," and
"destructive to education." As we speak, lawsuits
are being threatened.

But wait a minute! What did the Kansas Board
of Education actually do? Contrary to the hysterical
reports, the board did not ban the teaching of
evolution. On the contrary, the vote actually
increased coverage of the topic in the state science
guidelines--by more than fivefold over earlier
guidelines. All the board did was refuse to require
teachers to tell students that Darwinian
macroevolution is a fact beyond dispute.

The vote can best be understood as a protest against
placing any scientific theory beyond the reach of
criticism.

This board ought to be commended for taking a
courageous stand for academic freedom--for giving
students an intellectual right that scientists
themselves take for granted: the freedom to examine
all the evidence, pro and con, on every contested issue.
Without this freedom, science education degenerates into
science indoctrination.

What Christians ought to be telling people is that we
don't want to ban Darwinism. We don't want LESS
taught in the classroom, we want MORE taught. Of
course students should know the basics of
evolutionary theory, and all the evidence cited in
its favor. But they should also learn the
evidence AGAINST evolution, the problems and
anomalies.

For example, let's teach the gaps in the fossil
record, which is completely incompatible with the
idea of gradual, continuous change in living things.
Let's teach the Cambrian explosion, when all the basic body
plans appeared suddenly in the earliest fossil
record--contradicting the dogma of a slow, gradual
appearance of new life forms. Let's teach
what the discovery of DNA means--that at the core of life is a
language, and that there are no known
natural forces capable of producing such information.

As well, we should teach the frauds and fakes that
have duped scientists, sometimes for centuries--like
the recent revelation that the peppered moths were
faked. The idea was that after the industrial revolution,
the tree trunks darkened and the lighter moths were
picked off by birds, while the darker moths
proliferated--the showcase example of natural
selection in action. It now turns out that the moths
don't even rest on tree trunks, and that the photos
that are included in every biology textbook were
faked--that scientists glued dead moths onto the tree
trunks.

Why aren't these facts taught in the public school
science classroom? Why should only one view be
taught? This is a question I deal with in my new
book, How Now Shall We Live?, written with Nancy
Pearcey, the executive editor of BreakPoint.

It's not a question of teaching religion in the
science classroom. It's a question of teaching
Darwinism honestly--not covering over its weaknesses
with dogma. Let's set scientific proposition against
scientific proposition, and let the strongest one win.

Perhaps those who are reacting so hysterically to the
Kansas decision are really afraid of what those kids
will discover--this time it is Christians on the side of
academic freedom.

Copyright (c) 1999 Prison Fellowship Ministries

"BreakPoint with Chuck Colson" ("BreakPoint") is a
daily commentary on news and trends from a Christian
perspective. Heard on more than 425 radio stations
nationwide, BreakPoint transcripts are also available
on the Internet. If you know of others who would
enjoy receiving BreakPoint in their E-mail box each
day, tell them they can sign up on our Web site at
www.breakpoint.org. If they do not have access to
the World Wide Web, please call 1-800-457-6125.

BREAKPOINT EDITORIAL STAFF

Executive Editor: Nancy R. Pearcey
Production Coordinator: Lori Whaley
Managing Editor: Anne Morse
Associate Editors: Roberto Rivera, Eric Metaxas
Research Associate: Kim Robbins
Research Associate-Assistant Editor: Douglas C. Minson
Administrator: David Carlson
Website Content Manager: John Shaw

Copyright notice: BreakPoint may be copied and re-
transmitted by electronic mail, and individual copies
of a particular BreakPoint E-mail transcript may be
printed, provided that such copying, re-transmission,
printing, or other use is not for profit or other
commercial purpose. However, BreakPoint may NOT be
reproduced in any form on the World Wide Web or in
broadcast media, print media or other media without
express written permission. Prison Fellowship
Ministries considers requests to reprint, transmit,
or otherwise reproduce BreakPoint (or portions
thereof) in broadcast, print, or other media on a
case-by-case basis; please contact Prison Fellowship
Ministries at 1-800-457-6125 to submit a request.

Any copying, re-transmission, distribution, printing,
or other use of BreakPoint must set forth the
following credit line, in full, at the conclusion of
the portion of BreakPoint that is used:

Copyright (c) 1999 Prison Fellowship Ministries. Reprinted
with permission. "BreakPoint with Chuck Colson" is a radio
ministry of Prison Fellowship Ministries.

Prison Fellowship Ministries(R) may withdraw or modify this
grant of permission at any time.

THIS IS A RUSH TRANSCRIPT. THIS COPY MAY NOT BE IN FINAL
FORM AND MAY BE UPDATED.

http://www.breakpoint.org/
http://www.pfm.org/
http://www.angeltree.org/
http://www.justicefellowship.org/
http://www.neighborswhocare.org/

For comments: mailto:correspondence@breakpoint.org

For product requests or to make a donation, please
call 1-800-995-8777

BREAKPOINT NEEDS YOUR FINANCIAL SUPPORT!

Donate online: https://securecom.nsdi.net/breakpoint/hownow.htm
Donate by phone: 1-800-575-9269 (ext. 150)
Donate through postal mail:
Prison Fellowship
9RDWB13 - ext. 150
P.O. Box 4430
Chestertown, MD 21620

----
INSTRUCTIONS!

If you want to unsubscribe your address, send a message from the
e-mail box that receives the transcripts to: mailto:breakpoint-request@lists.netcentral.net

Put "unsubscribe" in the SUBJECT of the message.

---- NETCENTRAL IS A SPAM-FREE ZONE ----

"I have come to the conclusion that Darwinism is not a testable scientific
theory, but a metaphysical research programme-a possible framework for
testable scientific theories." (Popper K.R., "Unended Quest: An Intellectual
Autobiography", [1974], Open Court: La Salle, Ill., Revised Edition, 1982,
p168)