RE: do evolutionists really need the peppered moth? Re: Popper's so-called `recantation'

Pim van Meurs (entheta@eskimo.com)
Wed, 8 Sep 1999 08:53:56 -0700

----------
From: Pim van Meurs[SMTP:entheta@eskimo.com]
Sent: Wednesday, September 08, 1999 8:28 AM
To: 'Arthur V. Chadwick'; evolution@calvin.edu
Subject: RE: do evolutionists really need the peppered moth? Re: Popper's so-called `recantation'

>I can't believe people still cite the peppered moth's as the ultimate
>example, as if evolutionists haven't done anything better during the last
>decades. I see the same criticisms over and over again. People just
>don't get it. Yes, there are many cases of speciation events during
>historical time. Yes, natural selection has been observed in the lab and
>in the field.

Art: I can't believe it either. But it never stops. Either evolutionists know
there is no other widely believed "just so" story equivalent to or better
than the peppered moth story in explanatory value, or they are just plain
ignorant. Such evolutionists are taking a beating in my classes, and I
presume in the classes of other informed scientists.

Yes, some people are continuing to use the peppered moth to ignore that there are so many other excellent examples, informed scientists surely would know about this but would not 'beat up' others in their classes. They know that their task is to educate not to denigrate their students.
Scary....

That's a bit of a convuluted paragraph which has lost my original meaning, let me try again.

The choice 'either evolutionist know...' or 'they are plain ignorant' is a false dichotomy. Let me explain. First of all it is clear that there are many other good examples, even Behe admits to such so the alternative seems to be that evolutionists are 'ignorant' for using the peppered moth. Informed scientists might have heard of the recent controversy of the peppered moth and should educate their students about the new findings. Students should not be 'taking a beating' because of this but educators should inform them not consider them ignorant. After all are we not all 'ignorant' of math until we are taught such by our teachers?