Re: Coal (Was the saddest statement)

Arthur V. Chadwick (chadwicka@swau.edu)
Fri, 03 Sep 1999 07:35:46 -0700

At 12:28 AM 09/03/1999 -0600, Bill wrote:

>I've found at least one reference stating that rooted stumps (in this
>case) were transported:

There are many more references with respect to the Fossil Forests of
Yellowstone and to Mt. St. Helens.

Also, Stigmarian rootlets seem to be incapable of penetrating soil by
growth, as they are blunt ended and have no supporting tissues to enable
the penetration of resistant substrates. Furthermore, they grow from a
large terminal bud, rather than from expansion of tiny rootlets (as is the
case for all soil penetrating roots), and the bud and rootlets seem
eminently suitable for penetrating forest floor (or floating mat) debris.
The stigmaria I have seen in association with coals and in isolated
sandstones show no evidence of having grown where they are found (there is
no evidence of alteration of the surrounding sand, as would be the case
were it in situ, the roots and rootlets can be found to terminate abruptly,
and I have found lots of Stigmarian roots without attached rootlets at
all.) Even when the roots are found intact suspended in sand, the rootlets
often appear tangled and displaced. I am convinced that the stigmarian
roots I have seen are transported with the sand.
Art
http://geology.swau.edu