Re: Earth Rotation and the Flood

Glenn R. Morton (grmorton@waymark.net)
Sun, 04 Oct 1998 19:49:58 -0500

At 07:04 PM 10/4/98 -0700, Arthur V. Chadwick wrote:

>I have on my desk a chunk of a Pennsylvanian 'rythmite' from a classical
>locality in Michigan. Only problem is there is a vertical Neuropteran
>frond that crosses two complete sets of so-called tidal cycles. Either
>there is some other explanation for the accumulation of tidal rhythmites or
>the delicate lace-like frond remained intact and extended vertically from
>the sedimentary surface (perpendicular to bedding) while the tidal cycle
>sediments accumulated around it and eventually buried it after two months.

Are these cycles the fortnight cycles? If so, there is no problem. Leaves
today last quite a long time in lakes and streams prior to their destruction.

"Spicer noted that leaves in modern depositional settings can develop an
iron encrustation within a few weeks of their entry into a stream
depositional system. Iron-bacteria in particular Spherotilus sp., were
present on leaves examined from England, and were proposed as the primary
means of iron encrustation." ~ K. A. Dunn, et al, "Enhancement of Leaf
Fossilization Potential by Bacterial Biofilms," Geology
25(1997):12:119-1222, p. 1121

Notice that this is over several weeks!
glenn

Adam, Apes and Anthropology