Re: ID

David J. Tyler (D.Tyler@mmu.ac.uk)
Thu, 1 Feb 1996 10:31:49 GMT

Burgy writes (31 Jan 96):

> "Last Sundayism" of course, as expounded brilliantly
> by Gosse in OMPHALOS, explains everything -- and nothing.
> And it leads to no research ideas at all! ID is
> in a little better situation -- but not much.

I don't wish to defend Gosse's approach, but some quick feedback on
ID and reseach ideas.
1. Vestigial organs. Faced with the consensus that vestigial organs
are numerous and now useless appendages, ID thinking predicts the
organs do have a function. Result: functions have been found
for nearly all vestigial organs.
2. "Junk" DNA. Faced with the consensus that "Junk" DNA is a major
part of the genome, ID thinking predicts that the sequences are not
junk. Result: "junk" advocates are on the retreat. (example - the
role of telomeres in cell division).

General comment: ID has had to adopt a defensive stance because of
the dominance of naturalism. As it develops, a more proactive
contribution can be expected.

Best wishes,

*** From David J. Tyler, CDT Department, Hollings Faculty,
Manchester Metropolitan University, UK.
Telephone: 0161-247-2636 ***