Re: The Cambrian Explosion

Stephen Jones (sjones@iinet.net.au)
Wed, 27 Dec 95 22:50:32 EST

Bill

On Mon, 18 Dec 1995 09:42:26 -0500 you wrote:

SJ>Gould's review came very close to repudiating Darwinism
>in favor of a concept of 'evolution' that resembles the pre-Darwinian
>catastrophism of George Cuvier. I wrote to Gould after this review to
>suggest that he is no more of a Darwinist than I am, and that he
>refuses to acknowledge this only because he fears the metaphysical
>consequences. He did not answer." (pp 227-228)

BH>I am currently reading a book that has previously been mentioned on
>the reflector: "Reinventing Darwin: The great debate at the high
>table of evolution theory" by Niles Eldredge. Eldredge delineates
>the areas of disagreement between "adaptationists" (essentially this
>is the group which considers natural selection to be the only driving
>force of any consequence in evolution and believes population
>genetics can pretty much explain all of evolution) and "naturalists"
>-- mostly paleontologists, including Eldredge and Gould, who contend
>that the fossil record does not support the models of evolution which
>result from a pure application of population genetics. There are
>some sharp disagreements, to be sure, but Eldredge, and Gould so far
>as I know, consider themselves Darwinists. It seems to me that Phil
>may be trying to hold all evolutionists to a "Darwinian orthodoxy"
>which is acknowledged by the population genetics community byt not by
>the naturalists.

Thanks for this. But I think PJ is right. "Darwinian orthodoxy" via
a blind watchmaker model is not an optional extra. It is *absolutely
essential* to explain naturalistically the build up of the enormous
information content in all living things:

"The advantage of empirical evolution is that it squares pretty well
with observations. The disadvantage is that it does not explain the
main point that a theory of evolution needs to explain which is the
origin of adaptive complexity. Living organisms are packed with
complex parts that have to work together, and the genetic information
required to keep those parts working properly to serve the needs of
the organism must be enormous. Where did it come from? To stick with
Dawkins's chosen example, how did the bat get its wings, or its
echolocation (bat sonar) system, or its breathing apparatus, or any of
the myriad other complex things that bats need to have? Extinctions
might clear the way for surviving organisms to occupy new
environmental niches, but extinction events only kill, they do not
create...If adaptive complexity is to be explained at all, it must be
by a model like that provided by Dawkins. Gould can discard that
model only at the cost of leaving adaptive complexity unexplained.
Probably that is why Gould is evasive about whether he is rejecting
the Dawkins model or merely supplementing it with other kinds of
evolution." (Johnson P.E., "Reason in the Balance", InterVarsity
Press: Downers Grove ILL, 1995, p87)

If Dawkins is right that: 1. the blind watchmaker slow, gradual
cumulative natural selection model is the only possible naturalistic
explanation of adaptive complexity; yet 2. Gould is right that the
fossil record shows that it didn't happen that way; then it follows
that: 3. there is no viable naturalistic explanation for adaptive
complexity.

Of course, if Progressive Creation is true, we should expect this
giant dilemma in Naturalistic Evolution theory vs fact to remain