Re: salvation from tar pits?

From: William Hamilton <whamilton51@comcast.net>
Date: Mon Jun 28 2004 - 20:26:09 EDT

On Monday, June 28, 2004, at 10:15 AM, George Murphy wrote:

> I don't by any means think that there will always be technological
> solutions
> to all our problems. But as a theorist I can ask naive questions about
> technology, such as, "Isn't it possible to develop catalytic
> convertors that
> can deal with high-sulfur fuels?"

I'm not in the combustion/fuels end of GMR&D, but I suspect the answer
is some variation of the following:
Yes, a catalytic converter can be developed that deals with high-sulfur
fuels, but the cost is prohibitive.
For example, the sulphur might form compounds that precipitate out in
the converter and gum it up, requiring frequent replacement.

I could try to find out if there is interest (no guarantees how long
it'll take)

Bill Hamilton Rochester, MI 248 652 4148