Re: The Nature of Atheist - Christian dialogue

From: Iain Strachan (iain.strachan.asa@ntlworld.com)
Date: Wed Apr 30 2003 - 18:10:17 EDT

    Blake,

    Thanks for the comments. I also recall that things got pretty heated at the
    time. Jim was posting very frequently to the list -often several times a
    day-, and often getting pretty unpleasant with those who disagreed with him.

    But at the time, my impression (my apologies to Jim if this is was
    completely wrong), was that if someone was posting that frequently to a list
    and was so fired up about an issue (Day-Age), that they frequently got
    angry, that what was going on was a massive crisis of faith. Jim had just
    booted YEC out by about a million light years, and perhaps wanted to find an
    alternative that would resolve the crisis. In those circumstances, I really
    question whether the right approach was to systematically challenge his
    views (just as my views on ID and Vernon's numerics have been systematically
    challenged by people who don't like them). It seems to me that people just
    couldn't resist the temptation to show how the Day-Age view, with which they
    didn't agree, was intellectually a non-starter. Was this really the
    Christian thing to do in the circumstances?

    Another point I recall here was that for a while, Vernon was prohibited from
    posting to the group about Bible Numerics. At the time, the person
    proposing that this subject should be avoided, did have the grace to mention
    that it was not Vernon who was responsible for the bad feeling, but those
    who responded to him. It has been my observation that there have been many
    very nasty and sarcastic comments made about Vernon's position, in this case
    from people who were clearly not experiencing a crisis of faith. A recent
    example was the suggestion that "you have to have a PhD in Maths to get
    saved" (again, my fallible memory may have got the exact words wrong; but
    certainly having a PhD in Maths was a major component). This was plainly
    untrue on at least three counts, namely:

    (a) Vernon never implied you had to understand his work to get saved.
    (b) Vernon doesn't have a PhD in Maths. (Sorry, Vernon; hope I haven't
    blown your street-cred!! :-)
    (c) Schoolchildren at around year 7 or 8 in Britain are taught about
    triangular numbers (the major part of Vernon's work); it's part of the
    standard Maths curriculum.

    The poster in question ought have been well aware of much of this &
    therefore I can only conclude that he could not resist making a nasty
    sarcastic jibe. It is this kind of thing that every day makes me feel like
    turning my back on the list. By all means one can make a reasoned and
    courteously phrased argument as to why one thinks the numerics are not
    helpful, or have an alternative explanation to the one proposed by Vernon
    (and to be fair some of the group have done this and we've had some
    constructive exchanges on it); but to resort to insults and ridicule is yet
    another example of the depressingly unchristian behaviour I observe on the
    list.

    I live in hope that we can all learn to function better as a Christian
    community, and can each benefit from the insights into our Creator and his
    works that we each have received.

    Best wishes,
    Iain.