RE: The Nature of Atheist - Christian dialogue

From: Jim Eisele (jeisele@starpower.net)
Date: Tue Apr 29 2003 - 21:57:33 EDT

    Debbie writes (in RE: No death before the fall theology)

    >>I personally believe that the greatest cause of evil between 'nice people'
    (definition left loose intentionally) is the breaking into camps of 'us' and
    'them'. Our society is finally learning some mutual respect.>>

    Hey, I like that :-)

    >You're still making broad statements. And you keep going back to the same
    >single point without directly answering any of the questions we answer. So
    >maybe we didn't pay close enough attention to your verse.
    >
    >The verse is Genesis 3:19.

    Hey, that's pretty nice of you :-)
    Now we can start "fighting" again ;-)

    >1.Let's assume, for the sake of argument, that that one verse is blatantly
    >false.
    >Why would that negate the rest of Genesis, let alone the whole Bible?

    Wouldn't that negate the divine nature of the writing?

    >2.Let's consider the way we would say it today. I think it would end, for
    >molecules you were and to molecules you shall return. A little obscure for
    >the times, don't you think?

    Certainly I'm not demanding scientific accuracy from
    the dust to dust portion of the verse.

    >And personally, I believe that that is exactly the point.
    >
    >Allegorically, or literally- whichever - God is saying, "Man, you aren't
    >great like I am. I was going to do everything for you, but since you
    >couldn't accept my gift, you get to work hard and then have your body
    >decay - while I am infinite. You should have picked your friends better."

    Christianity "gets" people for many reasons. One is
    guilt. You have to find a way to convince people that
    they need Christianity. Blame humans (sin) for the
    world's problems.

    **WARNING - ANTI-CHRISTIAN SENTIMENT TO FOLLOW**

    The story of Adam and Eve is nonsense. Adam and
    Eve were harshly punished for action they took before
    they had knowledge of good and evil. Adam and Eve is
    far better explained as primitive myth trying to
    explain human death. Maybe I'll say more later...

    Jim