Re: Common Descent: From Monkey To Man

From: Josh Bembenek (jbembe@hotmail.com)
Date: Mon Apr 28 2003 - 16:11:00 EDT

    In the interest of being open-minded about the common descent issue, here is
    a considerably problematic article for the idea that man did not descend
    from monkeys. I can find no alternate explanation, nor have I critically
    analyzed the data. Any comments?

    "Chromosomal Speciation and Molecular Divergence- Accelerated Evolution in
    Rearranged Chromosomes." Navarro, A. and Barton NH. Science 300, p321-324.

    Abstract:
    Humans and their closest evolutionary relatives, the chimpanzees, differ in
    ~1.24% of their genomic DNA sequences. The fraction of these changes
    accumulated during the speciation processes that have separated the two
    lineages may be of special relevance in understanding the basis of their
    differences. We analyzed human and chimpanzee sequence data to search for
    the patterns of divergence and polymorphism predicted by a theoretical model
    of speciation. According to the model, positively selected changes should
    accumulate in chromosomes that present fixed structural differences, such as
    inversions, between the two species. Protein evolution was more than 2.2
    times faster in chromosomes that had undergone structural rearrangements
    compared with colinear chromosomes. Also, nucleotide variability is slightly
    lower in rearranged chromosomes. These patterns of divergence and
    polymorphism may be, at least in part, the molecular footprint of speciation
    events in the human and chimpanzee lineages.

    Josh