Re: Common Descent: From Monkey To Man

From: Preston Garrison (garrisonp@uthscsa.edu)
Date: Tue Apr 29 2003 - 01:29:21 EDT

    There was a nice review of the state of the art on this topic in
    Nature last week:

    NATURE |VOL 422 | 24 APRIL 2003 849
    Genetics and the making of Homo sapiens
    Sean B. Carroll

    Understanding the genetic basis of the physical and behavioural
    traits that distinguish humans from other primates presents one of
    the great new challenges in biology. Of the millions of base-pair
    differences between humans and chimpanzees, which particular changes
    contributed to the evolution of human features after the separation
    of the Pan and Homo lineages 5-7 million years ago? How can we
    identify the 'smoking guns' of human genetic evolution from neutral
    ticks of the molecular evolutionary clock? The magnitude and rate of
    morphological evolution in hominids suggests that many independent
    and incremental developmental changes have occurred that, on the
    basis of recent findings in model animals, are expected to be
    polygenic and regulatory in nature. Comparative genomics, population
    genetics, gene-expression analyses and medical genetics have begun to
    make complementary inroads into the complex genetic architecture of
    human evolution.

    Preston G.