Re: "Design up to Scratch?" (The Wit and Wisdom of Michael Roberts)

From: Josh Bembenek (jbembe@hotmail.com)
Date: Mon Apr 28 2003 - 14:00:48 EDT

    George-

    G: "Thanks for giving a clear answer. However, you seem to backtrack when
    you contrast this with biological info being brought about by "intelligent
    causation."

    -I think a better clarification of my own view is that just as gravity and
    other physical constants are fundamentals for understanding RFEP of the
    universe, so information is fundamental to the understanding of the origin
    of biological systems. Intelligent causation is a tricky statement. I
    personally don't dwell on mechanistically how information was inserted by
    God, Peter Ruest has some interesting ideas. But I don't see information
    reducing to other natural laws like the cause and effect relationships of
    RM&NS.

    G: If God did "design" C-12 & accomplish it through secondary causes
    (nuclear & EM interactions) then I would think that this would have to be
    called "intelligent causation." (I just carried out the design of staining
    my deck by means of unintelligent tools - brush, &c & would call this
    "intelligent causation.")

    -Indeed. However, if we were developing a rigourous argument to detect
    design in the universe, we may be unable to distinguish between the
    operation of physical laws alone (maximal naturalism) and the causal force
    of a Creator (i.e. we know that brushes to not occasionally stain decks by
    themselves in an advantageous protect from weather and decay fashion. We
    are, however, unclear as to what laws can do for us in biology. It is
    possible that laws alone do stain decks, this is the essence of our debate.)
      In this scenario, the only basis we have for the knowledge of God is
    philosophical/ theological, not physical empirical evidence. I think as we
    have discussed, the cards of nature stack in favor of a creator, while not
    providing absolute proof (assuming that in our fallen finite human state we
    could have absolute proof of anything.)

    G: Or are you limiting "intelligent causation" to the _unmediated_ action
    of an intelligent agent? If so, why?

    -As I said, I dont' dwell on it. However, I don't consider it superfluous
    to attempt to detect the evidences of design in various ways, and I see the
    arguments of ID as another supportive evidence (in addition to fine tuning,
    etc.) Even if all biological structures fail the upper probablistic
    boundary of Dembski's filter, it doesn't say that it CAN'T happen. A
    professor here at Southwestern once said the likelihood of seeing a
    particular car with license plate X at the exact moment that you happen to
    be crossing the street is astronomically low, but it happens every day.
    Probability isn't preventative no matter how low (except zero of course,)
    but it can be strongly suggestive.

    G: Of course you're right that God's carrying out the design of C-12
    through natural processes doesn't prove that biological information came
    about in the same way. But the former is just one of a vast multitude of
    natural phenomena that have been explained in terms of natural processes, so
    I would contend that the track record of science does give very good reason
    to extrapolate & expect that it will eventually be able to explain the
    development of biological info.

    -In my view, this is not the most exceptional display of humility. In my
    mind, I imagine that the amount of knowledge that man has, compared to the
    amount of possible knowledge available, may be extensively limited. How
    many independent fields of knowledge are completely unimagined, much less
    known to man? Do we know every factor responsible for carbon atom
    formation? We envision that since we know much and have progressed far, we
    have actually gone far. But comparing zero knowledge to alot of knowledge
    is not like comparing zero to infinity. Even a million is small next to
    infinite knowledge. There is a cap on human knowledge, but is there a cap
    on knowledge or is it infinite? Since God may be infinite, knowledge may
    also be. In this case, our knowledge may have barely touched the surface,
    even in the isolated and "simple" case of carbon atom formation. To predict
    what we can and cannot know is presumptuous and is a matter of judgement,
    not a valid understanding of natural world. While I do not even strongly
    disagree with your statement, my hypothesizing about fullness of knowledge
    prevents me from being too confident about what we know, can know and will
    know. I should be disappointed if we already knew everything about the
    formation and behavior of atoms. Similarly I see too much growth for
    biological understanding to confidently predict what we will find. Already
    within the last ~100 years since the discovery of the "cell" we have changed
    our view from a bag of jello to an extremely complex and ordered factory.
    Where does it go from here? From the mechanics of a cell to the "emergent
    property" of consciousness? We are just beginning.

    G: That may require radically new physics - just as some puzzling phenomena
    100 years ago required quantum theory for their explanation.

    -I have had another professor here make a very similar point about
    understanding the evolution and origin of biology. However, we can thank ID
    for illuminating problems with evolution that require another more
    comprehensive theory and understanding of biological origins. I await such
    an answer with great anticipation and eagerness. But to settle for and
    defend Darwinism at all costs (not accusing all here, just general attitude
    from some like Dawkins as an extreme example) is futile in my imagination.
    I am as open to ID as I am to another theory which does not invalidate
    Darwinism, yet places it within a framework that can finally satisfy all
    observations.

    G: Theologically, there is no reason to think that "life" requires God's
    unmediated action any more than do atoms, rocks &c: In Genesis 1, it is
    precisely living things which are spoken of as being brought about by God
    from the materials of of the world. & I would contend that there is good
    theological reason to expect that scientific succcesses can be extrapolated
    - though naturally this depends on what one considers "good theology."

    -Yet there is no reason to assume that information can be reduced to other
    physical processes/ constants. It may very well be as fundamental to
    understanding life as atomic forces are important for understanding rocks
    and atoms. Unlike the impression I get from others adhering to evolutionary
    dogma, I am open to such possibilities. How God implements and carries out
    such information may be beyond the understanding of finite men (what does it
    mean that God has breath and breathes into dust? Certaintly breathing into
    dust is not a careful mechanistic description of how God designs blood
    clotting, flagella, etc.) Hopefully it is not beyond our understanding.
    But before concrete answers are available, I will maintain an open mind to
    both the cause of natural laws and God's direct action (and no this does not
    mean I will eternally move the goal posts.) At this point, in my
    evaluation, natural laws are quite unable.

    Josh