Re: No death before the fall theology

From: RFaussette@aol.com
Date: Sun Apr 27 2003 - 11:18:04 EDT

    In a message dated 4/26/03 4:32:50 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
    jeisele@starpower.net writes:

    > Physical death as a consequence of sin is central
    > Christian doctrine, not some trivial census number.
    > And the Bible got it wrong. When Christians are
    > confronted with this, generally the silence or the
    > dishonesty begins.
    >
    > This is not one fault, Debbie. Supposedly it was the
    > very reason for the NT.
    >
    > Jim

    That's right - the very reason for the NT and it fits perfectly.

              When Adam and Eve ate the fruit from the “tree of the knowledge of
    good and evil” the “eyes of both of them were opened and they discovered
    that they were naked; so they stitched fig-leaves together and made
    loincloths…  and hid from the Lord God.” (Genesis 3: 6-7)

    Adam and Eve’s eyes are opened, their nakedness is revealed and they hide.
    They see something they could not see before, something upon which they
    suddenly and intensely focus, they feel shame and they feel fear.

    THAT'S THE OT

    THIS IS THE REMEDY IN THE NT

          In the Gospel of Thomas, Jesus says,

                 “When you disrobe without being ashamed… you will not be
    afraid.”2

    Jesus’ words in this Nag Hammadi text from 1st century Egypt dovetail
    perfectly with the nature of the fall in Genesis. The fall brought shame and
    fear. Returning to God would remove them.

    Jesus appears to have understood perfectly what the allegories in genesis
    meant. I wonder if that's why he spoke in parables - stories with double
    meanings - do you think he might have been doing exactly what we find done in
    the OT - double meaning - one simple meaning on the surface apprehensible to
    all and a hidden deeper meaning? Is it a radical suggestion to say that
    Jesus' style of teaching reflects the allegorical style of genesis?

    rich