Re: God's time

From: Jim Armstrong (jarmstro@qwest.net)
Date: Fri Apr 25 2003 - 14:21:14 EDT

    I take theology to be a human construct - basically our efforts to
    understand and relate to God - and as such, limited and subject to
    error, even with inspiration and revelation simply because we seem to be
    imperfect receivers.

    I would not argue that both of any two given theologies are right. It is
    more about being humble enough to acknowledge that in all probability
    both are in error in some greater or lesser particulars. That
    presumeably is the driver of the continuing discussion and search for a
    more coherent, and (I like your word "authentic") authentic theology.
    For me, at least, that includes a congruence with personal experience as
    well - but not "experience only". Experience is an unescapable component
    of our existence. It, and our rationality, along with intuition and
    sensitivity to inspiration and revelation is about all that we ourselves
    bring to the game.

    Re: "If theology were derived only from personal experience, then true
    theology for me would be different from true theology for you, as you
    and I have had different experiences."

    I think that's precisely why the theologies that we internalize must
    differ in some measure. [Hmmmm - internalization is an important
    distinction that I did not make clear in my earlier comments.]

    Re: "Obviously, the truth of who God is and how He relates to and saves us is absolutely true, apart from either of our opinions. Consequently, there must be an absolutely true theology."

    But, I would suggest, THAT theology (as God internalizes it?) is not likely to be known perfectly by us after filtering through our experience and limitations. It seems to me that we are using a process not dissimilar to successive approximations to arrive at theologies that hopefully with time are more congruent with God's perspectives. That means that everything is subject to examination and re-examination with each new insight. BUT, as in the processes of science, I see this as a progression of refinement (not "fabrication") in our understanding, and specifically NOT throwing everything up for grabs anew with each new idea that comes along.

    This is essentially why I come to a full stop at many assertional statements in our present context. I am clearly less comfortable than you are with making strongly assertional statements about details of the nature of God. Those assertional statements are founded on underlying beliefs (which I think are shaped in part by experience - who taught us some of our strongly held beliefs?). I'm interested in those beliefs and their foundations.

    Re: "The only foundation for a common, shared theology is scripture. Not personal experience."

    We probably just differ here. I understand scripture as an introductory vehicle - a window, if you will - even as it is a facilitator for understanding through inspiration and revelation.

    Even if we have the role of President of the United States of America defined in a compilation of everything written on the subject, and have a complete library of the most excellent biographies of a given president, they are an inferior substitute for truly knowing and experiencing personally the one who occupies the office.

    There is no more effective teacher than experience. Scripture provides us with a "standardized" set of insights, allowing us to have a "shared theology" in some measure. But, my sense is that a good authentic internalized theology is a vibrant, living, breathing, learning, expanding, evolving thing that is modulated and nurtured by both experience and reflection - and as such, it will always be intensely personal and unique in its details. The upside is that we will always have "stuff" and the accompanying tensions that allow us (and our theology) to profit from mutual exchanges concerning those details and differences.

    Regards - Jim Armstrong