God's time

From: igevolution@earthlink.net
Date: Fri Apr 25 2003 - 11:43:34 EDT

    Don wrote:
    Theology likewise has no basis except to the degree that it derives from actual experience of God.
    _________
    Jim wrote:
    Theology is essentially a man-made construct (or rather, a gajillion of them!), even if informed by revelation. It's not monolithic. Rather, it is unique for each of us, with some aspects shared with others to a degree that allows us to fellowship and build community...much as we are doing here!
    _________

    Holy screaming alarm-clocks, batman!

    Theology is a human construct (as my friendly opponent- for-the-moment, Jim Anderson has stated), but that does not negate the veracity of it. Theology is about authentic exegesis of the divinely inspired and inerranct word of God. The cannon of scripture is the foundation, not personal experience. If theology were derived only from personal experience, then true theology for me would be different from true theology for you, as you and I have had different experiences. Obviously, the truth of who God is and how He relates to and saves us is absolutely true, apart from either of our opinions. Consequently, there must be an absolutely true theology. The only foundation for a common, shared theology is scripture. Not personal experience.

    You and I are free to differ on our interpretation of scripture; this discussion is justifiably academic and authentic, but we must agree that the discussion of such matters is based on interpretation of scripture, not experience. We must also agree that there is an absolutely true answer to such questions. We can banter all day about what we feel that answer is, but we mustn't think that your answer and my answer, being different, can both be right. Let us not slide into post-modernism with regard to theology. God is absolute, and His truths are likewise. We must struggle to discover them, not fabricate our own.

    Jason