Re: ID science (subtopic 2)

From: D. F. Siemens, Jr. (dfsiemensjr@juno.com)
Date: Tue Apr 22 2003 - 16:32:25 EDT

    On Tue, 22 Apr 2003 09:25:19 -0400 "Alexanian, Moorad"
    <alexanian@uncw.edu> writes:
    > Dave,
    >
    > Read my post carefully. I am indicating what is the subject matter
    > of
    > science---data that can, in principle, be collected by purely
    > physical
    > devices---not quite yet what science is. One must have a clear
    > understanding of what science is and what it is not. Science
    > includes,
    > in addition, inferences from the data, which we must be careful not
    > contaminate with personal subjectivity that adulterates science.
    > For
    > instance, a scientist does not have to include as data the dreams
    > he/she
    > has. Is that clear? Science deals with the physical and that is what
    > am trying to get at. We want data that is an objective
    > representation of
    > physical reality.
    >
    > Moorad

    If I take you seriously, no astronomer could do science until photography
    was used to record the images--unless a pen, pencil or chalk is a
    mechanical recording device. Eyeballing a spectrum in the absence of a
    recording device cannot be science. Objectivity does not inhere in the
    apparatus, as the N-ray episode with its many published reports should
    demonstrate. Recall also the cold fusion episode. Somebody's instruments
    were measuring something that no one else could duplicate But the
    original observations were as objective as instruments could provide.
    There's a broader basis to science than recording instruments.
    Dave