Re: ID science (subtopic 2)

From: John Burgeson (burgythree@hotmail.com)
Date: Tue Apr 22 2003 - 11:16:01 EDT

    Howard wrote, in part: "I think we are making progress."

    Yeah. Your last post made me go off and think. (ouch).

    "The only disagreement seems to on the matter of labels. "

    I had not thought of a new word/phrase/definition before. Both Debbie Mann
    and Dick Fisher have made appropriate suggestions, and they are appreciated.
    After thinking about it a couple days, in between wrestling with Tillich,
    and also reading Johnson's latest (strange) book, THE RIGHT QUESTIONS, I
    think your suggestion is very appropriate.

    "When I refer to the "ID movement" I do indeed have the Johnson, Behe,
    Dembski, Wells et al crowd in mind. They are the ones who adopted the term
    as their identifying name and marketing slogan."

    I understand. There were some of us using it even before those guys came
    along, but only within a limited audience. Maybe that's why I did not see
    the usefulness of breaking away from the terminology.

    "How about MD, Mindfully Designed, or some other term that focuses attention
    of the idea that the universe exhibits a character that strongly points to
    the prior intentional action of Mind?"

    I agree with Dick Fischer -- the word "design" does not seem right. Here are
    the terms I came up with, in order of "most preferred:"

    Creaturely developed (CD)
    Creaturely built (CB)
    Creaturely implemented (CI)
    Creaturely conceived and implemented (CCI)

    Where "creature" is any sentient member of the physical universe. Humans,
    aliens (if any), some mammals such as dogs, etc. would be part of that set.
    Also some entities such as birds; I don't know where to draw a line here and
    I don't think that makes any significant difference anyway.

    "Del is a very careful and precise writer who makes those essential
    distinctions that most ID folk flatten with their politically powered
    steam-roller."

    Yes. I regard his book as a valuable addition to my own library on this
    subject. Whether I agree all the way with him or not, he is worth studying.

    Back to you. Thanks for the dialog. Any comments on understanding Tillich
    appreciated. I know enough to disagree with parts of his stuff -- I think I
    know where he "went wrong." But then I'm just an auditor in the class where
    he is being taught, so I don't have a voice.

    Burgy

    www.burgy.50megs.com