Re: ID science (subtopic 2)

From: John Burgeson (burgythree@hotmail.com)
Date: Tue Apr 22 2003 - 10:44:07 EDT

    Jay wrote: "Then again, in the eternal now, do time and measure even matter?
    Does not God sit looking at all matter throughout all time at once, as if he
    was looking at a tabletop train set?"

    Interesting metaphor. I used to think that something like that was a good
    word picture of God seeing and knowing all time and all space at once.

    In recent years, however, I have come to think it incorrect. I think God
    does NOT see the future -- at least not in detail -- but can and often is
    surprised by what we, his created yet partially autonomous beings, choose as
    courses of action in certain circumstances.

    IOW, I firmly believe that each of us has a part to play in deciding how the
    future will unfold, and to the extent we do our parts, in as much
    conformance to God's will as we can muster, to that extent the future will
    be a better place. When I was a young man, I wanted to "change the world."
    As I grew older, I realized I was not likely to do that. Then, at about age
    31, I discovered I was wrong -- I COULD change the world, at least the world
    for the three orphans we then adopted (stories on my web site). I think God
    was quite surprised (and pleased) with those decisions. They did not have to
    be made that way.

    The reverse of this is, of course, the fatalistic philosophy that what I do
    will have no possible bearing on the future, so why not just sit back and
    enjoy the ride.

    Burgy

    www.burgy.50megs.com