Re: ID science (subtopic 2)

From: D. F. Siemens, Jr. (dfsiemensjr@juno.com)
Date: Mon Apr 21 2003 - 16:26:37 EDT

    On Mon, 21 Apr 2003 13:54:08 -0400 "Alexanian, Moorad"
    <alexanian@uncw.edu> writes:
    > A purely physical device is one that is purely material and is, for
    > instance, devoid of life, self-consciousness, and lacks the ability
    > reason. One must distinguish between the data that makes up the
    > subject
    > matter of science and the intelligent being that set up the physical
    > equipment that collects the data and, subsequently, analyzes the
    > collected data and devolves mathematical models and theories that
    > correlate a multitude of data.
    >
    > Moorad

    Moorad,
    If I take your claim seriously, then a scientist does not look or record.
    About as simple a mechanical device as I can think of is a meter stick. I
    have never known one to line itself up and declare the length. We now
    have recording devices that collect immense amounts of data and analyze
    it so that the limited human inputs and analytical powers can hope to
    understand what is going on. But one may look at this as speeding up what
    used to involve a person eyeballing a galvanometer or cloud chamber--and
    possibly looking again to be sure of getting the reading right. Do
    eyeballs fall under "purely physical device"?
    Dave