Re: ID science (subtopic 2)

From: John Burgeson (burgythree@hotmail.com)
Date: Mon Apr 14 2003 - 10:57:26 EDT

    Hi again, Howard:

    >>You and I earlier agreed (on thread: ID Science (subtopic 1)) on what MN
    >>(methodological naturalism) was:>>

    Yes. But from my viewpoint, I think we must probe a little deeper.

    >... if any scientific theory is going to be formulated to account for some
    >collection of observational data, then that scientific theory will, because
    >of the character of contemporary natural science, deal with natural causes
    >only. This approach, often labeled> methodological naturalism (MN),
    >maintains a stance of agnosticism regarding the reality of non-natural
    >causes. For example, MN does not explicitly reject or accept divine action
    >-- whether of the supernatural (coercive) or the non-coercive variety -- it
    >simply excludes divine action (and any other form of non-natural action)
    >from scientific theorizing.>>

    Two things still bother me about the above.

    1. The last words in () -- to what might they refer? I ask you again, do you
    consider the willful actions of a human being to be "non-natural?" Or do you
    see three kinds of possible causation, natural causation, "creaturely," and
    divine (supernatural)?

    For myself -- I find a three way split to be problemmatical -- for if I, a
    "creature," am constrained to only natural causation, then I have no free
    will and am only a robot. OTOH, if I do have free will, then I can (and do)
    act outside of natural causation. So I must conclude that I am capable of
    (limiited) supernatural acts. But then the MN principle, at least in
    analyzing historical events and certain artifacts (arrowheads, for example)
    is compromised.

    2. Holding to the MN principle as tightly as I personally do, I am still
    aware that science is what scientists do. Although a demarcationist
    (Plantinga's term) myself, I cannot hold others to the MN principle, for I
    see it as a pragmatic principle, highly useful in some disciplines, perhaps
    less useful in others.

    >>I also said (re subtopic 2) that "ID advocates are free to advocate a
    >>theory that explicitly rejects MN, but they should, I believe, label it
    >>with something other than the word "science" alone. The label "ID
    >>science" would be one candid and honest way to distinguish an ID theory
    >>from a normal scientific theory.">>

    Here I agree. Al Plantinga apparently agrees also -- he wrote in ARN a good
    article on "two kinds of science, Augustinian and Duhenian." ID, for him, is
    of the latter type.

    I had written: " My observation is that they don't HAVE to reject MN to
    advocate the ID premise. The intelligent agent need not be supernatural
    (unless one considers human beings to be, in some sense, supernatural)."

    You replied: "It depends on what constitutes ID action. In what way, for
    instance, is ID action non-natural?"

    I'm sorry. I don't know what you mean here. You continued: "Yes, ID
    proponents sometimes do suggest from time to time that there's no
    way to tell if the designer is a mere creature (member of the Creation) or
    the Creator. I think it is fair, however, to note that the ID movement is
    NOT really a champion of "Designer ET's." ID's favored Designer is NOT a
    mere creature. Dembski, in No Free Lunch, specifically argues for an
    unembodied Designer. Given that, I would suggest that the ID movement is not
    so much about the distinction between 'natural' and 'intelligent' causation
    (where, according
    to ID literature, intelligence = the ability to make purposeful choices) but
    more about the distinction between action by creatures (members of the
    Creation) and supernatural, form-conferring action by the Creator. In that
    case, ID does, it seems to me, need to reject MN in order to argue for its
    conclusion."

    I agree that "it is fair." But you quickly turned our discussion from one
    about the possibility/feasibility/morality/reasonableness of ID as a general
    concept to one of evaluation of the present-day ID movement. You and I
    probably agree very closely on the status of the latter, so I am not
    interested in pursuing it. But arguments against the latter are not
    arguments against the former.

    Sorry for slowness of replies. I am spending the last 7 weeks of my wife's
    final quarter in seminary to pursue several lines of inquiry -- after June
    the library here (300 feet away) will be 300 miles away and I'm already
    going through withdrawal symptoms. <G>

    Final question -- have you read Del Ratzsch's book, NATURE, DESIGN and
    SCIENCE? It pertains to the issues we are discussing.

    Cheers

    Burgy

    www.burgy.50megs.com